Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look for my first Harley.

From talking to people and spending time here, I'm thinking I can find a running, driving, titled Sportster for under $3500.

Is that a realistic goal?

Checking various HD for sale websites nearly all of those bikes are about $3k more than what I'm thinking.

What do I look for in an Sportster?

Should I look for 91 and newer or ??

I really like No Good's Sportster, its very close to what I have in mind for a completed bike. Right now I just want to find something I can ride and modify as I go.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Troy

·
Registered
801 Posts
I recently saw a '78 Ironhead basket case go for $3k. I also recently saw a early model Evo Sporty motor (unassembled) go for $500. I think you could probably find an older Sporty, or a project Sporty for $3500. You'll probably end up putting more money into it after the fact either way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
in my area i'd say you can find an ironhead in that price range ($2500 to $4000)

may find an evo for $4000 and up

if you are new to a wrench and don't have a pile of cash you may want to stick to the evo if you want reliability

ironheads can be reliable but usually take some money and wrenchin to get there and still need more maint. then an evo

evo sportsters started in 86

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know of a nice sporty that can be had for around 3. It was give to the boy, and he dud'n have the sense to ride it. It's a '94 evo with fatbobs and is rough cosmetically, meaning the shit has kept it outside with no attention for some time now. If you're serious, I will check on it for you. I know it needs a battery and some TLC, but I've heard it run, and I'm sure it's solid. Low miles. :cool:

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
a buddy here just bought a 79 ironhead for $700. it needs some pieces (mostly bodywork) but it runs and has good paper.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you are going to use it as an everyday rider, get a late model. Although the worst thing you can do is let an iron head sit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts