Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether or not to put a spring loaded solo seat on my Sportster.(not a rigid frame)
A few years ago I had a serious back injury and now I can only ride for a short time before my back starts to bother me.
My question is can anyone tell me if the spring loaded solo seat will make things easier on my back and if so which type of springs should I use? Torsion style A or coil style B.
Thanks Fred

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6996&stc=1&d=1149089414

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6997&stc=1&d=1149089414

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too have back issues I use coils, but with a struted swing arm, I honestly don't think either are going make much differnce if you have chrinic back pain. I ride a few days in a row and then rest for a few, but since you are basically doubling up your suspension it can't hurt.( no pun intended).

·
Registered
60 Posts
my coil seat takes alot of the road out of my ride,.a bit "springy"..so much so i push back and ride on the fender a bit for more interaction w/ road...with a bad back you will get more movemnt w/spring but less of a jarring effect .02...borrow a bike w/ sprung seat and try???

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
im gonna run torsion style, ive heard they work the same about, this will be my first rigid, so first time i used em...

torsions cost a lil more..

who has a used seT???????????????

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sounds like you need to change your riding position, not put springs under the seat. Maybe you should take a close look at your type of bars and the position of them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Creepinogie said:
Sounds like you need to change your riding position, not put springs under the seat. Maybe you should take a close look at your type of bars and the position of them.
I have 32" flat track bars and the riding position is straight up and down with mid mount foot controls and forward highway pegs. I also have a small solo seat and my other concern is a spring loaded seat might make me sit to high off of the ground. As of now my seat is 26" from the pavement.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am always more comfortable leaning into the wind slightly. Straight up and down or leaning slightly back make me feel like the wind is gonna rip my shoulders out of their sockets. Also, when you are leaning forward your weight is triangulated between your arms and your butt, and when you hit bumps your arms take up some of the shock.

I think a sprung seat on a bike with rear suspension looks redundant.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
ChopperMark said:
I think a sprung seat on a bike with rear suspension looks redundant.
agreed. though i dont think they look 'redundant' as you put it, i think that they would probably negate eachother. when the swingarm moves up, the seat is going to move down (in theory), and you are probably going to end up bouncing all over the place. there's a reason that sprung seats with swingarms aren't seen everyday.:eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
a for sure ,they "bounce back" a little better than the old,i came acoss an indian larry air ride set up not to long ago, and it rocked,but so did the price tag.

·
Banned
648 Posts
I'm going to change my torsion springs to coils because they always end up tweaking under my fat ass and end up pointing out to the side, one direction or another. Mounts probably aren't totally symetrical. (Mine's on a semi-rigid, ie: an Amen style plunger rear end on a T120.) I agree the look is kinda hokey on a swingarm bike, but whatever you have to do to be able to ride it

-Bill

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree ride position is important ie: arm& leg position. Find that first. then if you do want a sprung seat buy a good set of springs, don't use the coil that taper at top and bottom,get the kind that are flat at top and bottom this will give a better platform for the spring to set on. If your heavy you could bubble up and use a coil spring inbetween the torsion spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would go down to a Harley Shop and get a set of springs for cop bikes seats. dyna & road king models have them There black and have way more Tension, than the chrome style spring's,. I had a set of chrome and they sucked. The HD springs work much better.

good luck

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you put solo seat w/ springs on a non rigid you'll have a springy ride.I put a tractor seat w/ springs on my 88 Heritage (stock Fatboy bars).The first right turn that I made felt like the rear end compressed then released as I straightened out.felt like I was being launched off the seat.I'm used to it now but it was sort of different the first time.Take your time to get used to it.I do like the ride down the highway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts