Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 77 RD400 I want to add the ol' cafe treatment to and need to make a seat from scratch. I really like this style

I have access to a really great workshop now and I was thinking about making the seat shape out of yellow modeling foam, and then making a fiberglass mold from that. But I've never used fiberglass before. Anyway, how does this work? How is the seat attached to the frame? And how does one go about making the cushion?
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
As an alternative to fabing everything .......
You might find a seat "ol' man seat " that is close .... Pull the cover and cut the foam / pan down and re-stretch the cover ... I got lucky with this in the past ....

May also be able to mod a 70's / 80s tail section to be your own ... that worked too ...

FYI- I was told by a cycle salvage you couldn't glue and Bondo that 80's plastic .... what a bunch of crap ...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm almost done making the form for my fiberglass seat.
http://vorhese.com/gallery/album205

My new question is how do I make the cushion? I current can't decide if I want to make a simple cushion or do the stretched leather with snaps version.

Questions:
What foam do I use?
What type of black leather?
How do I sew in pleats so that the seat has ridges?
How do I add that thin tube that goes around the perimeter of the seat?
How do I stretch the leather to form to the seat, and maybe snap to the fiberglass?
Basically, how do I do anything beyond a slab of foam? Anyone can do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
TurboRoadster said:
awesome thread indeed. someone wanna show me how to make a vintage full fairing for my '69 T500 now :)
Well, for you guys aren't quite ready to fab the fiberglass parts yourself yet, I found a really nice site today;

http://www.classic-motorcycle-fiberglass.com/seats/index.htm

It's in Australia (shipping will be $$), but hey, the work looks damn good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts