Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, I know we usually only talk about carbs and pre-evos...but I am stuck. I have a two up TC bike, 2004 88 inch. It has a basic stage one. Out of the blue a few months ago, once the bike is HOT, like several hours non stop 90 plus degree weather, it hesitates on any accel under load.
From just trying to pick up 200 rpm, to climbing a incline under load, it has this hesitation. Doesn't feel like it is at full power either once this nonsense starts, but I can't swear to it...
Fuel pressure is perfect, 58lbs. Ran plenty of tanks thru since this started. Seafoam in case it was dirt...Being told i might have bad injectors then hearing this a long story of HD injector issues....I have no idea. Would love some direction on this rather than toss parts at it.
No check engine light, no codes. Feel it is fuel related, but can't understand why she runs so well for first couple of hours...could be coil I guess, but looking for some first hands ideas.
Sorry about asking a TC problem, but I don't have anywhere else to ask where I respect the reply.
Asking this question has nothing to do with all the other comments since the JJ change over...I am right stuck with this. I only know older bikes man. I feel bad posting this, and if it is an issue, please feel free to delete.
Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am with you....

I knew this would be the worst time to post this, since all the changes. I have the TC for one reason only, it has been our food shopping and hauling family wheels.

This hesitation has me stumped...I wish it were an S&S or Mikuni....I feel lost with this FI stuff.

Like I said though man, if this thread needs gone, I understand. Makes me sick to be the one to start it, but I guess desperation and selfishness took over. :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Drag, thanks for that. It is hard to find someone to ask about all this new stuff who doesn't just list a bunch of parts "it could be..."

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hey Drag, thanks for that. It is hard to find someone to ask about all this new stuff who doesn't just list a bunch of parts "it could be..."
That's probably because there are a bunch of parts "it could be", and pretty hard to diagnose without a code reader/diagnostics setup.. Hard to do over the phone or internet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. When I went into work this morning I was told we are downsizing to a smaller shop....I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago so you can imagine my joy...anyway, old bikers are in demand so I keep my job. The reason I said this is that we are now in process of selling off 50% of the shop stock and apparently boss's wife thinks there are two injectors somewhere in her office...so perhaps this is a golden opp to throw a part at it for free or close to it.
I can't post parts for sale on this board but I am sure there are going to be some deals over the next 4 weeks on NOS and obsolete stuff...me hopes.

·
Banned
172 Posts
That's probably because there are a bunch of parts "it could be", and pretty hard to diagnose without a code reader/diagnostics setup.. Hard to do over the phone or internet.
this is 100% correct. and more information would really help us in even this limited capacity
you said it had a stage 1 kit. Are there any other mods? Do you have any idea if the tech installing the stage 1 reset the mixture and if so, what is the air/fuel mixture?
These engines run lean/hot for emissions reasons. They really need to be richened up if you are riding two up or with any kind of load. personally, I have found that using high performance maps for honda civics do wonders for harley EFI

·
Registered
31 Posts
personally, I have found that using high performance maps for honda civics do wonders for harley EFI
i'm new to this forum, so normally just read. But you my friend must be on some serious drugs to think that statement was worth typing.

·
Banned
172 Posts
i'm new to this forum, so normally just read. But you my friend must be on some serious drugs to think that statement was worth typing.
he can consider it, or ignore it. It is not my bike and I am not the one to make a decision about it... He asked a question about the delphi injection system. I made him aware that there was an option available that most harley riders do not know about.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
When is the last time (if ever) you changed the in tank fuel filter? Even though you show good fuel pressure (I assume under no load), don't let that fool you. A pump puts out volume. Pressure is created by resitance to flow. At idle or no load there is enough volume available to show good or passable fuel pressure. BUT once you are under load, that changes, as fuel demand goes up pressure goes down, and the engine starves for fuel, causing exactly what you are experiencing. So my advice...check the filter. I have a buddy with A Road King that had the exact same issue you are describing. Chances are that will fix it. He changed the filter and was good to go. Problem cured.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Run a diagnostic check & see what code comes up. Your odometer reset button. Push & hold while you turn on ignition, then confirm each. Refer to your owners manual or internet for codes. Easy shit!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts