Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is promoting a new "biker" rag called "The Ride". It seems that there are new biker targeted magazines popping up all over the place.
Anyway, he gave me some back issues to check out and they were OK but when I pointed out to him that ALL the featured bikes were commissioned trailer queens he said that that was what the readers wanted. I replied that what "I" wanted to see was more real motorcycles built by the owner/riders, not a bunch of overpriced eye candy. He said I was in the "minority". Personally I'm sick to death of pussy bikes.
Am I a minority ???

·
Registered
581 Posts
lilbill said:
A buddy of mine is promoting a new "biker" rag called "The Ride". It seems that there are new biker targeted magazines popping up all over the place.
Anyway, he gave me some back issues to check out and they were OK but when I pointed out to him that ALL the featured bikes were commissioned trailer queens he said that that was what the readers wanted. I replied that what "I" wanted to see was more real motorcycles built by the owner/riders, not a bunch of overpriced eye candy. He said I was in the "minority". Personally I'm sick to death of pussy bikes.
Am I a minority ???
Hell no, the bikes he refers to make me want to puke. It appears that the TV people also are of the same opinion.

·
Registered
411 Posts
lilbill said:
Am I a minority ???
No....I agree.

Personally I think owner built bikes and articles would be better....... similar to coming here for help on tech and building your own stuff.

The "show" bikes are just like them goddamn billet clad "rods".....no one ever rides em, they just show em and polish em.

my $ .02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, we are a minority. How else can you explain Harley's record sales, the popularity of the Teutles, or the bikes featured in most magazines? I have the utmost respect for the metal work that these guys can do, but who really gives a shit about it if you can't ride it!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I too am a minority. I had hippie parents, my mom's an Aborigine and my dad's an Eskimo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup. I started a site about riderbuilt projects and I am having a hard time getting submisions for tech articles and even bike photos (Shamelss plug).

Hell, I dont care if it is a streetfigher two-stroke or a bobber from wayback, but there just arent any "Good" rags out there for the tinkerer (At least not with usless gothgirl pics) They all cater to the magazine reader and not the mechanic. We need a "This old house" type of magazine, or website (cough plug cough)

So if ya want to send me some pics of shit you made with descriptions and geographical location I would love to have them, (no flames on stock bikes tho) And if you did some step-by-step pics on a build or even a repair let me know and we will build a page to showcase it! (more plug sorry)

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Is THAT where Pakistanis come from? Damn, I gotta get out more.

Nads said:
I too am a minority. I had hippie parents, my mom's an Aborigine and my dad's an Eskimo.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ha!
Tman, you beat me to it!
Lilbill...I'd have to say your not a minority around these parts.

I always say "Let the sheep unite"...& just remain uneffected.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Magazines want to make money, to do that they have to sell to advertisiers who in turn want you to buy from them. If your going to swapmeets buying old used crap and building a bike so they're not making any money cuz your not buying from there advertisiers...say what you want about HD, OCC,Easyrider, Hot Bike,and this new mag they know who's spending the money and its not you...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I kinda like being a minority, also how the hell do you make money doing a magazine???!!!, I would love to know 'cos I am always bloody skint.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm sorry
For something that I didn't do
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who
You blame me for slavery
A hundred years before I was born

Guilty of being white

I'm a convict
Of a racist crime
I've only served
Nineteen years of my time

Guilty of being white

(for my postcount) +1

·
Registered
263 Posts
Polock Joe said:
I'm sorry
For something that I didn't do
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who
You blame me for slavery
A hundred years before I was born

Guilty of being white

I'm a convict
Of a racist crime
I've only served
Nineteen years of my time

Guilty of being white

At least Ian Mackaye knows how i feel...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts