Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not have a bike now but am looking for one. I have worked as a mechanic for many years so I am very interested in the discussion problems with bike and advice how to fix them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have experience with a flathead 80"? I would like to build one, maybe a new one. I am old school all the way. Any input on them good or bad would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
My1960 MODEL50nNorton
Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Bob, I am just north of livingston Montana. I have had quite a few flatheads and currently ride a 1937 84" stroker. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the old flatties if your looking for one. Shoot me a PM anytime

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting you are close by. I live in Helena. Does the oil system have a return to a oil tank or do they have an oil tank in place of 1/2 of gas tank. Do you know what I talking about.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stock Big twin flatheads have a scavenger pump that returns oil to a remote tank mounted behind the seat post (horseshoe shaped oil tank). Both sides of the gas tanks hold fuel. I beleive the 45 cu in flathead used one side for oil, one for gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How hard is it to get replacement parts, is there a way to increase compression ratio. Are flathead 80 frame, fenders, gas tanks etc. unique or do they share parts with the knucklehead. Thank you for your time BOB

·
Administrator
7,808 Posts
Give this a read for engine upgrades:

As far as the other components you mentioned, frames are the same and I believe that the fenders are as well. But the gas tanks are shaped differently on underside. OEM pars are going to be expensive and may be hard to find, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That is three quarters of my old Bonneville. Uh, Triumph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I thought I recognized it. Friend of mine used to ride Triumph. They are a good bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts