Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to find out the best condensers fo these magnetos. I'm in australia so a manufactorer and part number would be greatly aprecaited.looking to get the best spark out of hunt auto advance cone shovel. Cheers all

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I got mine from Dave at MORRIS,
in the 5-6 magneto fired Harleys I have owned, I only needed to change one, about 15 years ago. so I highly rate Morris ones,... I believe hunt & the ones they do for V-Twin mfg are of a lower quality and are all made in China but never had a Hunt so cant say from first hand.Morris Magneto Inc.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
As Pete said,

Morris are fantastic. I'm personally a huge advocate for fairbanks morse. I haven't had a SINGLE one of their nos fail on me in 8 years of running mags. Stay away from hunt awful compared.

·
4,052 Posts
I bought a mess of NOS H-D stuff years ago. Given a bunch to friends, haven't had a failure. Also had a stash of Blue Streak shit, too, that has been fine as well. Have not used anything modern or available recently.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mike over at Cycle Stop in New Jersey has it all. He used to work at Morris and knows his shit. He rebuilt my mag for me as well as quite a few others, to say the least. Give him a shout...

His IG handle is @CyclestopNJ

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Mike over at Cycle Stop in New Jersey has it all. He used to work at Morris and knows his shit. He rebuilt my mag for me as well as quite a few others, to say the least. Give him a shout...

His IG handle is @CyclestopNJ
Mike is a great guy, super knowledgeable too. I know from talking with him that he uses fairbanks nos whereever he may get it. Gold dust, but lots do come up for sale on certain sites. Worth wrapping up and forgetting about until you need it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you have a small airfield by you there will be aero mechanics that will have machines to recharge the magneto magnet, worth doing if its been kicking around a while.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I kinda figure "The Best" is whatever I can get. A tractor condenser works real good. The NAPA/ECHLIN part number is FM 200. Fits a McCormik Farmall or a Massey Ferguson, can't remember which. Any rural parts house or tractor mechanic here in the Staes can get them, good old school ones can charge your magnets as well.. Hunt went to "rare earth" magnets more recently than Morris, changing to them is beneficial. I can't say anything positive about the Hunt company whatsoever, design is sound however. I have had better luck with the tractor parts than with Morris stuff, Morris is cheaper and I'm Scotch to qualify that. Aircraft stuff works well to, their performance criteria is a bit tighter.
Have an ice cold VB for me
Tom Rose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts