Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone with a Hunt mag on their 500 or 650 unit Triumph do me a favor? I need a measurement. What is the center-to-center (or just the space between) measurement between the two mounting holes?

My current winter project involves making a bastard magneto (from my T100) from a pile of pieces I have. If all goes the way I want it to, it'll be single-fire with an XR750 cap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Sporticus said:
Can someone with a Hunt mag on their 500 or 650 unit Triumph do me a favor? I need a measurement. What is the center-to-center (or just the space between) measurement between the two mounting holes?

My current winter project involves making a bastard magneto (from my T100) from a pile of pieces I have. If all goes the way I want it to, it'll be single-fire with an XR750 cap.

Thanks!

I take it you mean the space of mounting bolts in the 'ears' of the adapter that bolt in place of the stock advance ..

dont have one here handy, or at all, only magged-Triumph is a full-race large T140 w/a ARD ..

but your answer would come from the oft-lately-mentioned Buck ..

[email protected] also : http://www.goblinmillworx.com/

THE magneto guru ..

D ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly-

I was planning to ring up Buck to see if he had some used stuff, or else buy new components through him. I feel guilty bothering him for free tech help. He's provided a lot of it in the past. I'll drop him a line if I don't hear anything here. Also, I'll post some info if hodge-podge of agricultural, fairbanks, and Hunt parts actually works. The scrap pile of mistakes is getting large and expensive.

S.

THE magneto guru ..

D ..

.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Sporticus said:
Exactly-

I was planning to ring up Buck to see if he had some used stuff, or else buy new components through him. I feel guilty bothering him for free tech help. He's provided a lot of it in the past. I'll drop him a line if I don't hear anything here. Also, I'll post some info if hodge-podge of agricultural, fairbanks, and Hunt parts actually works. The scrap pile of mistakes is getting large and expensive.

S.

THE magneto guru ..

D ..

[/QUOTE]
I can get you a measurement tomorrow off mine

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Teach! There's a particular Slick mag (industrial use) I've seen that has similar mounting ears and what appears to be a F-M clone. This is the body only - the rest will require some extensive machining and fabricating. Labor is free if its my own. Look forward to hearing from you re: measurements.

I can get you a measurement tomorrow off mine

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
100 Posts
3 9/16".....center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole........thats for the Hunt-style adapter for the mag with built -in flange on the body......I have a Morris style here too but it uses it`s own bolt center pattern as the Morris used a mag-side adapter and a cam side adapter

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would also caution that with other mags of the FM variety and the Slick variety (those Slicks got WAY COOL brass and stainless braided screw-in plug wires on the aircraft and military model mags)......that you would have to pay special attention to the ANGLE of the mounting flange in relation to the mag body centerline in order for it to be able to be timed correctly.....some FM mags have mounting flanges angled and some are straight inline which would effect timing location and those slotted holes don`t have much leeway to make up for error

someone correct me if I`m wrong

·
Registered
100 Posts
also Sporticus.......I have my own giant pile of agricultural and aircraft FM and Wisconsin mags.......I can tell you this.......there were HUNDREDS of different configuration FM mags produced........they have dozens of different length shafts.....dozens of different flange configurations and flange/neck heights.....at least four (that I know of) configurations of those points plates/rotor bushing carriers........some were built for left-hand turn and some for right-hand turn rotors.........HUNDREDS of different configured caps......even the two-cylinder caps come in at least 25 different styles by my books.......some had single-fire and some were set up for dual fire....there were also SEVERAL different configurations of rotor top cam lobes (opens the points) and that is an area that needs to be RIGHT to work at all Trump and HD are both opposing-fire twins but there is a slight difference in that cam lobe between HD and Trump....to put this bluntly........stop waisting cash on FM tractor mags unless you want to spend alot of time machining one to make it usable and just buy the HUNT or HARLEY model FM (it will have the FM tag but say Harley Davidson on it as well).......there are TWO styles of mag body you can use on a Triumph.......the flat bottom style (typically used on HD) which just has four bolt mounting holes for the adapter......this style will require a Triumph style mag-side and a cam-side adapter BOTH to fit....HUNT carries both........then there is the mag body with the built-in two bolt flange (offset from centerline of mag)....this style only requires the cam-side adapter to fit.......both require the driveshaft adapter also.......

from my pile of FM mags and all my trial and error,I CAN tell you this:

FM coils interchange with HUNT
FM points interchange with HUNT
FM condensors will work
some FM top point mount plates will work

now the HUNT stuff is supposed to be of higher performance in nature than FM but I`m not sure

this info comes from a YEAR of trying to find a cheaper way to have a Hunt-style mag out of FM parts........either way,you`ll spend about the same.....and I can personally thank [email protected] Goblin for answering hundreds of my own questions about the very same thing......VERY knowledgable and hella nice guy

my advice to you would be to call Buck and ask about a used mag or parts......though I would prefer to have Buck check and set one up for me to save me $$$ in the long run than to buy one elsewhere.......ask Trent Scharra about that........and Buck can probably get you HUNT stuff at a better deal than anywhere else.........just call and ask the guy........he`s a great help....and if you feel bad about taking up his time w/dumb questions that don`t make him any $$$ (cuz I felt the same as you do),then just have Buck do the work or source the parts from him.......support your board

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Fantastic info. Thanks Slim.

I just learned that the bolt center distances on the Slick are wrong. I've got the correct Sportster mag body kicking around and the Hunt pieces do seem like a good bet. I owe Buck at least the opportunity to buy from him.

I do have a Ford 2N Wico mag that I've made fit my WLD. I 'll keep the details to myself until it actually runs (waiting for $$ to build the rest of the engine). I 've read that Harley adapted a post-war surplus of 2N mags to fit the racing WR (cheaper than designing a whole new mag). Consider the price of a used WR Wico, if you can find one.

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

Slim said:
I would also caution that with other mags of the FM variety and the Slick variety (those Slicks got WAY COOL brass and stainless braided screw-in plug wires on the aircraft and military model mags)......that you would have to pay special attention to the ANGLE of the mounting flange in relation to the mag body centerline in order for it to be able to be timed correctly.....some FM mags have mounting flanges angled and some are straight inline which would effect timing location and those slotted holes don`t have much leeway to make up for error someone correct me if I`m wrong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts