Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to create specific entry criteria for the Pileup for bikes. The bikes that obviously should get in are not difficult to spot... like Shoe's bike or Genaro's bike. But the questionable ones are tough.

The cars are '63 and older hot rods and customs. No billet, no IFS on fenderless cars, no open hooded cars running EFI, no stockers, etc.

That cut off for bikes excludes too many worth bikes. What should the cut off be? Should an '80 XS "bobber" get in? We've discussed not letting any Evo's in, but that excludes some bad ass bikes too. Like Kutty's bike if he were to happen to bring it. Evo motor... and I would have a hard time not letting that bike in. So where do you draw the line? A set year cut off would exclude alot of bikes too, like the Flyrite bikes. We don't want the Pileup to become a bike show, but we all like cool bikes, and people are bringing them, wanting to get in.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Anything you want to add Magnet?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bottom line, you really can't do it by year, unless it's "no STOCK bikes newer than XXXX". Maybe homemade or antique. No bolt on shite! It could get dicey. Let the "gate keeper" decide!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
have a guy at the gate give hte thumbs up or thumbs down, either way, no matter what your going to have people whine and cry.

thats what they do for the jalopy showdown in york PA. there are a bunch of douchebags (tm) at the gate saying what can get in or not, dont think there is a year or anything.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i would say dont set up a cut off date for bikes.maybe so something like.shovel heads,ironheads,and so on.if you do a cut off date for bikes for like 72 and older,it will cut out alot of bikes that are the same exact engine and look as say a 70,but are actually a 78.does that make sense?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think you shouldn't judge the bikes that come out for the show by what motor they have.. Just at how they look... have a guy at the gate who "knows" how a right bike should look... What year motor shouldn't matter...

If they'll bring out bikes that are as badass as the cars that I've seen at the Pile Up, it'll probably be one of America's best shows.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i go to this show EVERY year, this was first year for zack and i driving in (unfortunately my cars carb crapped out night before, so it wasnt in my car, LOL), and i will be driving something in this year as well... my opinion is the current rules are right on target, but new rules could help, i wanna see more bikes!!! ... i think the pre 72 trumps should be let in maybe, and maybe some cool HDs as well... i know the current date misses out on some cool bikes though, like nortons, bsa's, matchless all can miss out as is now... its a HARD call... but, being that not too many bikes show usually (since its cold as shit usually, LOL)... i would say open it up to all bikes of the proper style... no billet, just like the cars., as a general rule only cool shit tries to get in from what i see anyways... .. try it for one year.. see how it goes... worse thing that happens is you piss off a gold chainer on a vrod, LOL!!!!!

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Here's a thought.....Have a couple guys at the gate.....when a bike pulls up, each one says right or left......make the right side parking, cool stuff, and left side parking, not so cool stuff. It would mean separate parking, but the LA roadster show makes the "not right for the show" stuff park outside. The problem with a "year" or "motor" or "make " or "model" restriction will keep out some creative and bitchin stuff. Sorta like when Big Daddy wasn't let in the street rod nationals on one of his creations....cuz it was the wrong model year.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
as much as i like to look at bikes of all years and most styles i think the "official" pileup bike show should mirror the "official" pileup car show. ie 63 below, no billit etc. REAL old school, pans knucks and flatties, indians, brit bikes etc. etc. . the other bikes can go into a reserved bike only parking/show area for rubbernecking but no trophies.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is a good discussion. I wanted to ride my bike up which is Evo powered, and my buddy may bring his as well, which is a TC. His is an 01, and mine is registered as an 05. I've attached a pic of both. Shit, mine may be to new fangled even.

A guy at the gate is a good idea as long he knows his business. Maybe do a "No stock bike after a certain model year.

What is the date for the 06 event?

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
So we have a couple schools of thought on this subject which we are currently debating. There is no easy way to draw a line with bikes like there is with cars. Lots of bike builders mix the old with the new.. which really does not fly with the traditional car guys.. you usually dont see that.

I personally would love to say no to jap.. yes to shovel or earlier HD's .. pre-unit trumps only and not one stock bike out of the whole lot.

Currently we have a broad statement that covers bike entry
"Motorcycles: Bikes must be old-school/traditional looking choppers, bobbers, etc, which means no high tech looking bikes (e.g., West Coast Choppers, New Indians, New Harleys etc).

But with the onslaught of cars and bikes.. thing are getting to fill up.. so its important that we re-enrgize the spirit of the show and tighten up the rules a bit.. this means expanding that one sentence into a couple more difinitive statements which dont leave so much to interperetation. With a clearer statement it will leave much less up to opinions at the gate.

With everyone and their brother calling anything with two wheels a bobber or a chopper interchangeably.. it makes the discussions at the gate sound like this..
"Yeah that can't get in.. "
"why not its a bobber just like the board says..."
"uhh dude.. thats a honda gold wing that you took a hacksaw to and cut off all the crap.. "
"oh then its a chopper.. yeah, thats it, its a chopper."

So essentially that is what we are asking..
Is what guidelines would a traditional hot rodder/kustom guy.. who is also into bikes (like most of you on this board) apply to keep the flavor and spirit of the show great.. those of you that have attended understand what i mean by spirit.
We are not trying to make rules to include or exclude a certain type of person or bike.. Nor are we trying to define and categorize what a bobber .. a chopper.. or a traditional or custom bike is. Many on this board cringe when someone trys to say what a specific type of bike is or isn't.. heheh "dude its a bike thats what i call it".
The important thing to keep in mind is that the pileup isn't just a car show.. its a gathering of Kustoms, traditional hot rods, bikes .. cool shit in general.

Actually doing the sorting at the gate we think we have handled. We just have to decide on some more guidelines.

Its always the second weekend of October.
So that makes the October 14th the date

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
you need to decide on a criteria that does not rely solely on someones "opinion". if you aren't very careful at drawing lines and firmly identifying your theme (in this case traditional customs) then in a short time you will have just another car show. i still think non-stock and pre (pick a year) motor AND frame is essential. That pretty much takes care of style. If James Dean could've rode it, it's in. If you feel that is too restrictice then make THOSE bikes a class and put everything else in as "others".
my .04

·
Registered
168 Posts
lilbill said:
you need to decide on a criteria that does not rely solely on someones "opinion". if you aren't very careful at drawing lines and firmly identifying your theme (in this case traditional customs) then in a short time you will have just another car show. i still think non-stock and pre (pick a year) motor AND frame is essential. That pretty much takes care of style. If James Dean could've rode it, it's in. If you feel that is too restrictice then make THOSE bikes a class and put everything else in as "others".
my .04
uhh yeah.. but they didnt have (well you couldnt just order a santee etc etc) custom frames back in the 50's.. so you cant really say a non stock motor and frame.. and most old bikers ran stock motors.. nothing special.

"If james dean could have rode it" leaves plenty up to interperetation.

the pileup is not judged.. there are no classes.. its just a get together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
magnet said:
"uhh dude.. thats a honda gold wing that you took a hacksaw to and cut off all the crap.. "

I apologise for getting off topic, and please tell me to go fuck off if you dont care what i say. BUT, that gold wing is so much more the deffinition of a Bobber than some flyrite bike or some other Indian Larry copy with a new ridgid frame and what ever big twin engine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I apologize in advance for hurting anyone's feelings or sounding like a prick but this is the kinda shit that just makes me laugh at how silly things can get.

If its a "Kustom" show then i think "custom" shit should be allowed. No matter if its an evo, or it has a piece of billet on it, or theres an old german V1 rocket strapped to the back. Now, i know the one with the old german rocket would get in because its "vintage" right? What about the guy with the Evo with Pan rocker covers on it? And who the fuck is gonna decide what to let in based on whats "cool" or not? That shit is completely subjective and based on some fuckers opinion.

Sorry for bitching but sometimes i think folks get so caught up in trying to be "vintage" or "traditional" or "anal" that it takes away from the actual fun of being able to walk around and check out a whole bunch of different and interesting shit.

If this show is in the tradition of customs car shows that only allow certain makes or certain years, then enforce it as such. But its a shame if somebody with a sick-ass late 70's shovel rolls up and can't participate because its a pre-70 show.
I understand the need to keep shit "pure". I understand the need for classification purposes, but if its a custom show then let it be what it is.
Worst thing that can happen is the guy with the billet cupholder is gonna get laughed at by the guys with the "traditional" chop with upside down handlebars.

Now...that being said, i don't care what happens or who gets let in to what parking lot because i can't make it to the show. Just thought i would add my $.02 because i think some people around here get too caught up in the fucking fads and trends. Or the anti-fads and trends.
Eh...fuck it all.
Sounds like a good show though. Hopefull they're not enforcing a dress code. Wifebeaters and chain-wallets only!!!

:eek:;):D

Fuck rules and guidelines...

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
scootermcbeaverson said:
magnet said:

I apologise for getting off topic, and please tell me to go fuck off if you dont care what i say. BUT, that gold wing is so much more the deffinition of a Bobber than some flyrite bike or some other Indian Larry copy with a new ridgid frame and what ever big twin engine.
Really???

-Jason

1 - 20 of 52 Posts