Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone- I know this horse has been beat to death… But, I couldn't find anything that matches the scenario… (I have been following DMV posts for the last 2years or so… on a few different sites) Now its finally my turn to play the DMV game… And im getting a bit nervous about what all I should do. Any suggestions- comments- ideas- etc, im all ears!
So I'm purchasing a bike that was for sale- but, someone else had the money to buy it. Now the new seller is selling the whole thing but, with NO MOTOR or TRANS… (keeping it for themselves- Selfish B&$TA%@- just messing with you… I know your out there! Reading this post…) And just for clarification- I don't have the bike just yet- I'm still waiting to go pick it up out of state. I don't have any paperwork so to speak.
<O:pSo- does anyone know the "proper way" to Title/Register an Out-of- State Harley Frame with a Clean Title- But, NO MOTOR OR TRANS -And after everything is said and done&#8230; Getting away with a NORMAL REGISTRATION once its back in working order? Is the answer No-Op&#8230;<O:pMy intent is to restore the bike back to its original condition- or close to&#8230;DMV Language)&#8230; But, it is currently a parts/project bike (which is looked at as a SPCN- DMV page below). I will eventually be buying a motor from a reputable shop nearby when I have some extra money. Which also seems OK from what ive read. As long as the motor is an original w/ stamped cases (not aftermarket- s&s, etc..) Some concerns I have since I'm not going to be able to get this running for the next year or so & will be sitting in the pad for some TLC. Can I title this frame in my name without a motor? (Per the DMV site- Inspections are required for out of state purchases)
If im unable to title it in my name&#8230; Can the seller request a duplicate title & then claim the bike as stolen? (never heard of it&#8230; but, then again- ish happens)
If they are unable to title it in my name&#8230; Due to the roller status&#8230; Should I leave the sales date blank? So I don't get slammed with backed fees later?
Mileage- Must be above 7500- right?
Can I purchase any original Harley motor (1976 FL, or a '82 Strugis, etc&#8230;) and be Ok with registering it a year from now. But, have the Registration still be based off the frame numbers? Not tagged SPCN&#8230;
Ill have the seller complete the following&#8230; Any other recommendations?
Bill of Sale
Statement of Facts - Since he just purchased the bike & is now flipping it over to me (-) the motor and trans.
I will be requesting with purchase&#8230;
Last issued registration certificate or renewal notice for the current year or a letter from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registration period
Last issued out-of-state title
Now, If the original title is still in the sellers name and the NEW seller hasn't filed for a new title- What would you? Still take a bill of sale & statement of facts?<O:p</O:p
Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment From (REG 262), If the person from whom you are buying the vehicle is not the registered owner
Any other forms you'd recommend&#8230;?
I'll be taking pictures of&#8230;
The original motor and trans to show it's a matching set- that was kept with the original seller
Specially Constructed Vehicles
A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) is a vehicle built for private use, not for resale, and not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. (built at home/garage
•Specially constructed vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or from a vehicle reported as dismantled, as required by CVC 5500 or 11520 which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make and model of the vehicle that was dismantled
•A specially constructed vehicle does not include a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or modified from its original design, but not completely assembled from parts, which is still recognizable as the original make
- Example #2-A motorcycle, such as a Harley Davidson, modified only with extended forks but still recognizable as a Harley Davidson is not registered as a SPCNS
However, if a motorcycle is constructed entirely from parts, even if they are Harley Davidson parts, the vehicle cannot be registered as a Harley Davidson since it was not constructed by a manufacturer or remanufacturer; it must be registered as a SPCNS
Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California Be Sure You Can Register it in California<O:p</O:p
The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here. This includes certain diesel powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (Health and Safety Codes 43150 - 43156
What Is considered a new Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state
This is obviously not a new bike- It's a late shovel with plenty of action. But, then again- Were talking about the DMV&#8230; I'm pretty sure they don't realize these things!
Change of ownership<O:p</O:p
The following is required for a change of ownership:<O:p</O:p
Last issued out-of-state title signed by the seller(s) and the lienholder, if any. If you do not have the title, a duplicate must be requested<O:p</O:p
Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), if the person from whom you are buying the vehicle is not the registered owner<O:p</O:p
Odometor disclosure on the title or REG 262 signed by the seller and buyer, if the vehicle is less than 10 model years old<O:p</O:p
Any suggestions are appreciated. -or- if you see I'm missing something I should be aware of&#8230; please chime in&#8230;<O:p</O:p
Sorry for making this so dam long&#8230;<O:p</O:p
Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
All out of state registrations require VIN verification and you can't VIN verify an incomplete bike, so you're kinda screwed there. You may have to just sit on the title until you get a motor. Call DMV and see if you can "non opp" it because of the missing motor.
I just did a 72 FL with Delkron cases and got it registered as a Harley. so as long as the rest of the bike looks and smells like a Harley you should be ok and you shouldn't require the SPCN death tag.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tony- I was really hoping you'd chime in.
So as long as I find an original motor to go with my title- I "should" be ok?

And any suggestions on how to getting title into my name? Not registered- just titled... So everything is on the up and up (dont want any issues with the frame not legally being mine)
Thank you again-

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you don't need an "original" motor, you could put any motor in it and still register it as a Harley D. with a replacement engine.
As for the titling thing I have gotten away with titling a rolling HD shovel chassis before and then going back with the motor numbers and completing the registration process after I bought an engine but that was 15 years ago, Things changed lately so you won't really know until you go into DMV. Then take the chassis by CHP and have them run the numbers to see if it's hot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on Tony- I know you know FAR MORE than me... But, per the DMV's website
Example #2-A motorcycle, such as a Harley Davidson, modified only with extended forks but still recognizable as a Harley Davidson is not registered as a SPCNS
However, if a motorcycle is constructed entirely from parts, even if they are Harley Davidson parts, the vehicle cannot be registered as a Harley Davidson since it was not constructed by a manufacturer or remanufacturer; it must be registered as a SPCNS

What would you do? Its in pieces right now...

One last one- How about paperwork for the DMV...
Bill of Sale
Statement of Facts
Title
Last Registration
Vessel transfer & reassignment form
Any others I should look into...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
wasn't that bike built at the HD factory? put the parts back together and don't overthink it.
get you paperwork together and start looking for a motor.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I guess a lot would hinge on if the frame has a VIN on there right now. If it's 1971 or later, it should have numbers and you should be able to title it. If it's an older frame with no numbers, then it's somewhat more complex.
If the frame comes with a title, then just go with it as if it were a complete bike.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey everyone- CA DMV Title update. I should have updated this sooner... Tony- Your info was a great help and I still owe you box of suds!

NOTE: I still need to have the bike registered... Its only been titled to me so far (So no push/riding it on the street).

Late last year I made an appointment at the DMV (Costa Mesa- seemed most knowledgeable) for a title to be issued on my basket case shovel. I took them a Bill of Sale, Original Title (signed), Planned Non-Op Request and a statement from the seller (who was only a middle man- as he never titled it in his name).
The DMV takes all my info- plugs it in... Tells me I owe X$$$$'s and give me back my stuff for a CHP buy off. All in all- 20mins and I was out the door! No griping... no bs.... Super easy and simple!
Now I need to have a "complete" bike for CHP to inspect. (Not running as tony mentioned- just complete). Blinkers, fenders, speedo, mirrors, etc.
Since- I've already ran my info thru the local guys (Westminster), and the numbers are all on the up and up. I dont need to worry about going down there and having my sled impounded. So, Its really just a madder of time to get it all pieced together! Im still in need a trans to complete the bike (ratchet 4speed is needed... Anyone?). hahaha... had to throw it out there.

So now whenever I go back to the DMV, which will be after CHP's buy off- I'll need to show another proof of purchase (bill of sale) for the other major items (Transmission/Primary and Motor). So far- I've paid my dues for the Non-Op and what I acquired the Frame/Roller for. Like most of you guys said- They just want their money... Dont try and low ball them (dirt cheap sales price on Bill of Sale)- They know a ball park of what a HD goes for. Besides, a few hundred in fees after everything is said and done- is better than them ??? your shit!
And as far as the DMV is concerned - AND THEY DID ASK!... My bike is only missing the drive train- It has not been basket cased- and never was a basket case- its merely sitting in my garage waiting for the motor and trans!
Im really think this is the fine line between a SPCN and HD Title here in Cali and most folks miss the question! As they are to quick to say yes.

All in all- Its been pretty easy so far... Knock on wood!
Good luck everyone and i'll update my side when I get thru the next step.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey everyone- CA DMV Title update. I should have updated this sooner... Tony- Your info was a great help and I still owe you box of suds!

NOTE: I still need to have the bike registered... Its only been titled
Please select a different font. This one is hard on the eyes:eek:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Dito that^^^^ that font gave me a friggin headache !!

I'm glad it all worked out.
When you get to the point you need a CHP inspection, watch out which CHP inspector you call, some are real dicks ! (i.e. Westminster) or call me and I can arrange for a friendly CHP vin inspector to come over to my shop in Orange and do a VIN inspection here.
and it does not need turn signals and all the horn shit, and the 7500 mile rule only applies to late model non Calif. smog eqiuiped bikes, you only need an odometer,
just remember you are asking for a VIN inspection, not a safety inspection.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about that guys- it should be fixed now. I had to cut and paist my story... I got logged out after awhile.

Thank you Tony! I'll be sure to take you up on CHP Inspection help.
Yeah- I know what you mean... The Westminster CHP had one officer- Manapsh or something like that & he didnt even want to run my numbers at first. But, after some persuassion, I was able to get him to run the numbers for me (so far- 2 motors and one frame- Im a parts whore!). The Mileage part is good to know- But, the odom it came with had over 7500 so I should be safe if they get the info crossed at DMV. Turn signals- Thats one less thing to worry about for now :). Horns- they dont work anyways... But, have one sitting for when the time is right.

Dito that^^^^ that font gave me a friggin headache !!

I'm glad it all worked out.
When you get to the point you need a CHP inspection, watch out which CHP inspector you call, some are real dicks ! (i.e. Westminster) or call me and I can arrange for a friendly CHP vin inspector to come over to my shop in Orange and do a VIN inspection here.
and it does not need turn signals and all the horn shit, and the 7500 mile rule only applies to late model non Calif. smog eqiuiped bikes, you only need an odometer,
just remember you are asking for a VIN inspection, not a safety inspection.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6/20/11 Update- So I had a question about my paperwork and scheduled an appointment for this morning. The question was the expiration date on my reciept which was only 3 days after I paid fees this last year. The cover sheets states "Penalties are due if renewal fees are paid after the expiration date."
I was told since ive still got the Planned Non-Op in effect- this didnt apply. However, the lady at the window told me I didnt have a CHP Refferal (which is required for CHP to do the VIN inspection). So I really lucked out and saved myself some trouble later.
I was told after the CHP VIN Inspection- To bring the paperwork back to DMV and they will issue tags right then and there. As for the safety inspection- I was told it was not needed!?!?!? This im not so sure about... But, if your working on getting your bike together and have a CHP inspection to do- Make sure you have a DMV Refferal before you go to CHP!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts