Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to shorten up a springer help

Hello all, this is my first post....This is a project that I'm working on currently.

I need to shorten up this springer....

My idea is to cut the legs and use something like these: http://www.crimescenechoppers.com/spuds_prod.html

Only problem is, the rear legs are "oval" shaped....

Has anyone here done this sucessfully? Any ideas on it? Please share. Thanks!

Matthew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Re: How to shorten up a springer help

Just a thought.... those spuds are a pretty simple concept and would be easy to weld in, but like you say, they're round not oval... so why not check into having someone make you some you can tailor to fit yourself (if you have the patience and tools) or get 'er cut down to where you want and have someone make you some perfectly tailored already based on where you cut the legs. The most most important thing is going to be the fit of the pivot and the fit of to the legs, right??? Just a thought...

Oh, BTW... welcome to the board!! Let's see more pics! Looks like you've got some good stuff coming up!
Matthew in SD said:
Hello all, this is my first post....This is a project that I'm working on currently.

My idea is to cut the legs and use something like these: http://www.crimescenechoppers.com/spuds_prod.html

Matthew

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Matthew,
Welcome to the board.
There's been two or three threads about the same topic. You might try using the search at the top of the page.
Larry T

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an original!! It's much longer than I need, but I got it for a good price. All in all when I'm done, it'll probably cost more than one of those DNA springers...but I don't really like them much anyway. I'll post some more pics soon when I get some more progress done.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The hard part is getting it all square and matching the lengths of the legs, just a few thousanths difference translates into a lot when a wheel is mounted. I've bought and shortened a couple of old Harley springers, made slugs to fit inside where the joints were.

·
Registered
261 Posts
shit dont cut that thing, trade or sell it to me! I need that thing. I got a bitchen springer in good shape you could cut the fuck out of all day long.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Matthew in SD said:

Matthew
Yeah! I mean NO ! Don't cut that thing up man ! Swap it for a shorter one..or sell it and buy a shorter one..It's not a perfectly nicely done extension on that springer but still worth keeping it like it is my guess..or as Mike said, rake the shit out of your good looking frame !

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
justjeff said:
shit dont cut that thing, trade or sell it to me! I need that thing. I got a bitchen springer in good shape you could cut the fuck out of all day long.
Heh, I havn't cut it yet, but someone already lengthend it before I got it....I'm pretty sure it's from a servi-car and really is in OK shape. Defenitely needs some refurbishing though....I gotta cut it though!!! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Danny F. said:
Yeah! I mean NO ! Don't cut that thing up man ! Swap it for a shorter one..or sell it and buy a shorter one..It's not a perfectly nicely done extension on that springer but still worth keeping it like it is my guess..or as Mike said, rake the shit out of your good looking frame !
nah, if I raked it out it too much more it would look like a drag bike :) It's already got a 40 degree rake....I'm actually going to sharten the springer and bring the rake in a little bit....I would sell it, but I couldn't get anywhere near enough money to buy another one, I got this one for a good deal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i'm glad this was brought up.

i want to do the same thing with my springer and i'll have to cut my neck and take the rake out.

What i'm confused about............. why do you need new hardware?

why not just cut the springer, then use the rockers and stuff that you already have? isn't the end of the springer just drilled and tapped and you bolt on the hardware?

why not just drill and tap the ends of the legs like they arleady are?

OH, i see now. the harley springers are tapered at the ends...... ok. my aftermarket springer is just solid round stock at the ends. so i will have the same inside measurements if i just cut mine.

ok, then why not just cut your harley springer, then drill them and just use different spacers to make up the difference. or there is not enough room? to do that?

·
Registered
504 Posts
matt, how are you going to take the rake out of your frame?

how will you cut your neck, and will you use a jig?

just wondering cause i want to do the same thing you are doing.

are you going to just use a sawzall?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
snortonnorton said:
matt, how are you going to take the rake out of your frame?

how will you cut your neck, and will you use a jig?

just wondering cause i want to do the same thing you are doing.

are you going to just use a sawzall?
I'm actually not going to touch the neck at all. I'm gonna cut the backbone where it meets the seat post and bend the downtube in closer (goosneck lookin)....I need to make head room for the new engine I'm putting in there....and yes, I will be using a jig.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
snortonnorton said:
<snip>

ok, then why not just cut your harley springer, then drill them and just use different spacers to make up the difference. or there is not enough room? to do that?
I think that would look kinda junky....I want to keep this as clean as possible...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dragon said:

Matthew -

I vote dont cut it, find one the length you need .. (find out that length, I might have one ..)

BTW, Welcome to the board, looked at your e; It's Doug over here on the right coast, who swapped ya the Sporty ..
Hey Doug! I got the engine sittin pretty on my workbench right now....This springer seriously needs to be cut!!! The extend job was not done the best it could have been IMO, it seems I'm getting alot of votes for "no cutting" though :) hehe, anyway, I probably need something "stock" length or something in the range that is shorter.....

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Matthew in SD said:
Hey Doug! I got the engine sittin pretty on my workbench right now....This springer seriously needs to be cut!!! The extend job was not done the best it could have been IMO, it seems I'm getting alot of votes for "no cutting" though :) hehe, anyway, I probably need something "stock" length or something in the range that is shorter.....
The lenght of this extended original springer kinda "covers" the not-so-great extension job...if you're gonna shorten this one...THEN it's gonna look pretty cheap...
See picture below how it should have been done..in the rear legs you see that tapered angle cutted conection as in the originals? Yours is missing that...but still..,I would not invest all the work to cut this one and end up with a short one that still doesn't look original..

Attachments

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

Matthew ..

here's a thread where Larry was looking for a period 'kit' for lengthening oem springers .. same deal I believe he was re-doing a too-long early stretched piece ..

follow the links I gave him .. contact Bill's in PA .. they still have a stash of them on the shelf .. "from the day" .. I think from 4 over on up ..

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1296&highlight=slugs

that would be the way to go to have a proficient welder take the headstock and whatever part of the legs that might be stock & re-usable ..

BUT .. I say again, set everything up on the table, find the exact length you need .. "stock" in the real world is most times too short ..

but I do have this stock 45 (smaller stem) fork w/BT rockers .. any talk about it PM, please ..

D ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dragon said:

Matthew ..

here's a thread where Larry was looking for a period 'kit' for lengthening oem springers .. same deal I believe he was re-doing a too-long early stretched piece ..

follow the links I gave him .. contact Bill's in PA .. they still have a stash of them on the shelf .. "from the day" .. I think from 4 over on up ..

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1296&highlight=slugs

that would be the way to go to have a proficient welder take the headstock and whatever part of the legs that might be stock & re-usable ..

BUT .. I say again, set everything up on the table, find the exact length you need .. "stock" in the real world is most times too short ..

but I do have this stock 45 (smaller stem) fork w/BT rockers .. any talk about it PM, please ..
<snip the pic>

D ..
Sent you a PM and an email...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts