Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anybody that's been looking for a copy, you can forget about paying ridiculous money for copies of Bruce Palmers out of print book. The publisher is reprinting it and its supposed to be available again on 10/7 for 37 bucks.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if they'll do an update. I wonder if Perry Ruiter might want his name iin the list of credits. http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/palmer/index.html
I'd be willing to bet that this new printing will be the same as the original. I don't know the author (Palmer) or any of the contributors, but from what I understand, Palmer wasn't really ready to have the book printed when Motor Books Workshop made the decision to go to print. It was still a work in progress. Unfortunately, economics often dictates a lot of the events that take place in our lives. You know, once you sign on the dotted line . . . . But at any rate, it's a hell of a good source of information about the bikes Harley produced during the Knucklehead and Panhead years including the big and little Flatheads. And no, I don't own stock in Motor Books (or anybody else for that matter!!), but I do own and work on the old Harleys and this book has been a great resource for me.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Palmer was the only person that took the time to gather all that information, with documentation. One of my friends was a contributor. I think that some of the AMCA members hated him for publishing it. He used to live in JAX, and made his phone unlisted after the book came out. The reference that I made to Ruiter, was my poor atempt at dry humor, because of how far he has gone to find things wrong with the book. Friggin' spelling errors, and the thickness of the reprints. Give me a break.
I have a prerelease copy that I cherish.

·
Banned
700 Posts
damm I should have sold my copy when I had the chance
Popelli!

You are worse of a business man than even I!
There's three copies still in plastic on my shelves, with a corrections print out as well...
Yet I never even bothered to register for ebay.

Hearsay is that Mr. Palmer had already submitted corrections before the first edition, but MBI printed it anyway,... so Pzokes is probably right that the new edition will be the old.

Still a bargain, even without Perry's priceless and accurate insights.

....Cotten

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well I dont claim to know, but im told Bruce Palmer lives in the Brandon/Valrico ,Fl area & I hope the info I got is untrue, but I understand he is having some very serious health issues as we speak. The reprint will probably be just that, a REprint of that great book of restoration knowledge.
For someone to invest that much time & energy to share with us that wealth of knowledge tells me it was not for profit, but a labor of love. I think we all need to say a prayer for Bruce & his family.
I have 3 copys, 1 in my shop falling apart & greasy 1 in the house as study material/refrence & 1 new in the plastic to replace my shop copy.
The whole ebay thing was a rumor that Bruce had passed & didnt authorize a reprint...
Might be true, might be bullshit, but a friend of mine claims to know him well & thats the story I got .

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great book boat loads of information on parts. Just wish there was a breakdown of the bolt sizes and lengths for certain parts
If you can get your hands on a copy of one of the old "Spare Parts" catalogs, every bit of that info is in the back pages. Not only the bolt size and length, but also the t.p.i. and type of head as well. Same with the nuts and washers too. A big help when putting together a basket case or straightening out someone else's idea of a "custom".

·
Banned
700 Posts
Great book boat loads of information on parts. Just wish there was a breakdown of the bolt sizes and lengths for certain parts
TheAppleKnocker!

As old.wrench points out, that information is readily available from OEM reprints.
What made Palmer's treatise a landmark is how it laid out varieties of similar pieces for comparison, outlined yearly production changes, and filled in so many gaps.

It is indispensible as a reference,
but no reference should be expected to replicate common literature:
It would be a foot thick.

....Cotten

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think that it would be best to keep Bruce Palmer's address unlisted. He would get more "door knockers" than all the faces at my door after the local Jehovah's Witness meeting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A lot of work went into that book. Unfortunately for me it makes my head spin...thinking about all that is wrong on my bike and how it will never be completely correct and even though I am enjoying my bike I get envious of the guys having even more fun and probably getting more of the hot hardbellies on their totally correct rides. You know the type, the fellow sporting with the black oil bag when you are stuck with a chrome one and everyone knows that in that particular year chrome was not even an option.
When I am tooling down the superslab hoping the semi's and soccer moms see me I am just glad whatever mismatched parts below me keep doing their job.
The book is handy at swapmeets though.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
any input on who is gonna be selling these and where to get one ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts