Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stripped my whole bike down and used a wire wheel on all the hardware to get any surface rust, grime, and grease off. Now all my hardware has a natural grey steel look. I am afraid it will rust after I put the bike back together.

Although I prefer black, I dont care too much about how the finish looks (black, clear, shinny, dull)

I just want to know if there is a cheap and easy way to do a decent finish/plating job myself without having to buy a kit. Are there chemicals I can buy so I can rig up my own kit?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
we take our nuts and bolts down to a industrial plating shop and have them zink or cadmium plated for about $40 for a whole engine and frames worth.
Zink is cheap, but cadmium looks better.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Buy a home plating kit and do it yourself, that way you always have the facility when you need it.

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I saw an article on the net with some chemical and a car battery with leads going into a bucket. But I can't remember if it was for cleaning or plating or what. I'll try to think and dig it up.....

Sixball

·
Registered
398 Posts
when you do cadmium plated it gets plated with nickel first. just have them do a heavy layer off nickle and call it a day. it is really cheap to have done.

·
4,048 Posts
There's some fella on here who wrote up a great article on parkerizing... that would be pretty tits.

·
Registered
357 Posts
we take our nuts and bolts down to a industrial plating shop and have them zink or cadmium plated for about $40 for a whole engine and frames worth.
Zink is cheap, but cadmium looks better.
Doesn't both plating options leave the hardware with a yellowed finish?

I've always despised the yellow look of hardware, but it's better than rust. I'd prefer nickle but I hear that is an even more expensive option than Zinc or Cadmium plating.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Doesn't both plating options leave the hardware with a yellowed finish?

I've always despised the yellow look of hardware, but it's better than rust. I'd prefer nickle but I hear that is an even more expensive option than Zinc or Cadmium plating.
Clear cad will give you a brite silver finish, only poor quality soft zink will give you that gold/yellowish color.
Nickle is quite a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
689 Posts
parkerizing will rust sooner or later. you can take all of your hardware to a plating shop and have it cadium plated and dipped in a black oxide solution. Then, you have black hardware that holds up well for a long time. most shops have a set rate for a batch of hardware, from $40 to $75 a batch.

·
Registered
351 Posts
About cadmium. I was under the impression that stock H-D spokes and hardware were coated with that shit, and thats why spokes eventually "flake" and the h-ware turns grey.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
most OEM spokes are zink plated and turn that dark black/grey after time.

·
4,048 Posts
parkerizing will rust sooner or later.
So will everything else, including stainless (or oxidize). The guy's talking about plating hardware, my guess is that a quick wipe every few weeks isn't going to kill his schedule. I'm not trying to be combative, but every one of the protection methods here is temporary to some degree. This is probably a cosmetic choice - it's friggin' hardware!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Parkerizing is nice. has that old look. The bare still stuff wont rust that quickly, I run alot of old stuff that is hard or expensive to replace and most of it has some kind of coating still even after cleaning up or sanding alitte.

You can always clean it up again. I would rather just get all new stainless except for crital bolts that need stronger hardware, looks better to me unless you want black. After replacing all the hardware I could on an old bike theres not much left that is not new . I hate zinc but i guess its nessecary if everything needs to be shiny and look new on a budget. Its all about your taste.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You could always get a home zinc plating kit and do the parts yourself. That way you have the budget of doing as many parts as you like at only one layout cost and you can choose a shiny or matt finish or anything in between.

Cheers Dan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts