Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just turned three last July, and she is an absolute adventurous girl. Loves riding her go cart with me, going on bike rides, riding on the ride on mower, you get the idea. she loves anything with a motor or wheels. The thing is, she wants to go on daddy's motorcycle with me. I am perfectly comfortable with my riding abilities with a passenger on board. I take the girlfriend on rides with me ocasionally with no problems, and have plenty of saddle time myself. My biggest question is, how old were your kids when you started riding them around town on your scooter. I was three and my dad put a belt around my waist that attached me to the sissy bar of the fxr so i couldn't fall over. I am leery of doing that, because if the bike goes down, i don't want my daughter stuck to it. I live in a small town with light to moderate traffic. There are no age restriction laws, just helmet and glasses are required. I have seen others in my area riding children even younger than my daughter in their laps. I am looking for advice and opinions here. What have your experiances been? thanks in advance, Chad.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took my daughter when she was four. I am confident in my abilities. I went slow, no hole-shot wheelie nonsense obviously. I went around a couple blocks in my quiet neighbourhood. I was supremely aware of her the entire time. And I put her in front of me. Don't go strapping her to the sissy bar. She loved it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here's my son after his first ride @ 5. I stayed in the neighborhood because I'm overprotective, but he loved it. This is after we took off his helmet and he refused to get out

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
I took my daughter when she was four. I am confident in my abilities. I went slow, no hole-shot wheelie nonsense obviously. I went around a couple blocks in my quiet neighbourhood. I was supremely aware of her the entire time. And I put her in front of me. Don't go strapping her to the sissy bar. She loved it.
That would probably be the most I would do with my kids. I've been riding for almost 30 years and got taken out last Friday by my riding buddy who made a major F up in judgement with I guess a lack of skill. He plowed me with his Road King after cutting an intersection short. He started low siding/scraping going left, I was already through the intersection on the far side of the lane and he didn't get off the gas and it was practically a t bone. I think he got me with his crash bar, but either way it knocked the bike out from under me. To beat it all, he was able to stay up. Therefore, I'm reluctant to take my kids with me even though I could keep them safe, it's everyone else I worry about.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i had my son on in front of me when he was 3 just local - not far and not too often - i also had him on a pw50 with training wheels at 2 -and he has been riding on his own without the training wheels since 3 - as for sitting behind me i waited till he was 8 and could reach the passenger pegs and still go local and short - i've also found its better to go when the wife is not around - don't ask permission - beg forgiveness - funny thing he loves my bikes and knows they will be his but he's not begging me to go for a ride so we go infrequently -

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just took my 9-year-old for his first ride (on the back) last weekend. His feet reach the pegs, and he didn't mind sitting right on the fender. Well, at least he didn't mind until it was too late to back out. Rode neighborhood streets at about 30. I am very confident in my riding, but not willing to bet any of my kids on the unlikeliness of a freak accident. Besides, 30 to you probably feels like 80 to a kid, I know it did to me when I was little.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just took my 9-year-old for his first ride (on the back) last weekend. His feet reach the pegs, and he didn't mind sitting right on the fender. Well, at least he didn't mind until it was too late to back out. Rode neighborhood streets at about 30. I am very confident in my riding, but not willing to bet any of my kids on the unlikeliness of a freak accident. Besides, 30 to you probably feels like 80 to a kid, I know it did to me when I was little.
Really it looks like we are all on the same page. Both of my sons have ridden with me, but just in the neighborhood. Back in my native VA where it is rural, they would probably get some more seat time, but people are insane around here. They have dirt bikes so they do get to ride, and when my now 7 year old was kick starting his Honda 50 at age 6, I was pretty proud. What they do when they get older is their choice, but I think my youngest will be more of the gearhead/motorcycle type.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My son was about 4. I had a sissy bar on my 77 FLH and took a second one and cut it to fit forward about 7 inches. I made foot pegs that came out from the top shock mount. I sat him down put his feet on the pegs and wrapped a belt around both sissy bars( wish I took a pic). I took him for rides around my neighborhood ( very quiet, zero traffic). I did that for a year or so and went a little farther in time. He rode two wheels by three years old and loved the mo-mo cycle But it is nerve wracking anytime you put your child on the bike. Be careful who know what you'll start!

·
Registered
437 Posts
From a legal standpoint as long as they can reach the passenger pegs they can be a passenger here in Az. There is no law on where the pegs need to be mounted just that they can be reached. Not sure about laws in other states. I was about 4 for my first ride and still remember it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Any age is find long as you and the bike are safe. Back country road with no traffic would also be best

·
Registered
213 Posts
i saw a guy with a 2 1/2-3 year old on his CB-750. the kid was laying on the tank and had his feet on the head of the engine, this seems a lot safer then having her behind you

·
Registered
837 Posts
my daughter was 4 when she went around the block on my sporty, in front of me. we went like 5mph the whole way.
she's also been in front of me on a quad, for a ride around a farm a few times... and a mini bike or two. (she has her own mini bike now, but hasn't yet ridden it solo)

my son is almost 2... he wants to go BADLY... maybe when he's 3.

for the most part, though, i do not trust other people on the road. i couldn't live with myself if i lost a child like that...

·
Registered
153 Posts
2 and 3 years old on the tank infront of me. Just around the block.
Today I take 'em to kinder everyday in the sidecar and they are now 3 and 5 years old. Helmet and gogles and all. They love it. Actually my daughter 5 years old. Sits and waits for me everyday to pick her up from kinder. She asks me when I'm picking her up every morning and at 3 o'clock she's ready by the gate to go home on the bike. Often we take a de-tour if the weather is good. :)
I know a sidecar is a lot safer than sitting on the tank. But if you take it easy and the kids is calm, small roads and low traffic you should be good.

·
Registered
360 Posts
it always seems to that the most fun stuff always has a risk involved or a danger - it's the same for kids - i never want to see my kid get hurt on a motorcycle and know the risk for him and myself when we go - but i won't deny him or myself that thrill - i think a lot of guys ride for the same reasons - you forget all thats bugging you and are in the moment and i have to think that works for kids also - i think you need to teach kids to respect the dangers in whatever they do - same as teaching them to shoot a gun - learn the rules of safety first - then have some fun and be careful

·
Registered
142 Posts
A buddy of mine takes his four year old all the time. Uses one of these things.

http://www.childridingbelt.com/enghome.htm

Straps the kid to you, and not the bike, plus gives them something to hang onto. I don't have any kids of my own, but plan to go this route when my godson is old enough to go for a ride with me...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts