Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see bikes posted here that appear to have less than two inches of ground clearance. Do my eyes deceive me?

I've ridden a few bikes that sat 1 to 2 inches off the ground and all I can say from my experience with such machines is

you just haven't lived until you high center on a pipe or sidestand lug cranked over in a curve hoping like hell the rear wheel will touch back down somewhere close to under the bike with you still in control

and damn it can be painful when you aren't so lucky

am I the only one that's ever high centered a bike and then enjoyed a brisk high side get off?

heck...... I've done it on bikes with over 4 inches of clearance..... not nearly as safe/predictable as doing it in a four wheeled cage for sure

just curious is all

high side ejections are seldom graceful

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent...... now I know who to ask to teach me to ride if I ever want to learn

looks doubtful though..... been riding the roads for right at 25 years now and it's been well over 30 since I wadded up the first Z50

Bring those scrapers out to these parts where the roads go only where the hills will allow....... and the guy with chicken strips on his tires just may not make it

thanks Cap'n...... dad

Cap'nSpaulding said:
Son.. we know how to ride around these here parts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
HackAsaw said:
excellent...... now I know who to ask to teach me to ride if I ever want to learn

looks doubtful though..... been riding the roads for right at 25 years now and it's been well over 30 since I wadded up the first Z50

Bring those scrapers out to these parts where the roads go only where the hills will allow....... and the guy with chicken strips on his tires just may not make it

thanks Cap'n...... dad
Your just too close to the smokies and the Blue ridge, you got to go to the land of flat and level and never never turn while going over 10 mph, then you to can have a ground scraper that looks cool.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That almost would sound sarcastic if it weren't so true

heck...... I would have a tough time living with a bike that wouldn't even roll up on my lift table

oldspeed said:
Your just too close to the smokies and the Blue ridge, you got to go to the land of flat and level and never never turn while going over 10 mph, then you to can have a ground scraper that looks cool.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
HackAsaw said:
That almost would sound sarcastic if it weren't so true

heck...... I would have a tough time living with a bike that wouldn't even roll up on my lift table
HackAsaw, we make our own lift tables...

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fair enough.......

Have you seen those limited (at least here in the states) production KTM's that arrived recently

good looking bikes

saw one sell on ebay for about 4K over list

·
Registered
866 Posts
I actually got high-centered on a speed bump, that was pretty freaking embassing...I also can relate to rolling (lifting) it on and off a lift/curb/jack etc. that is a pain in the ass. Fortunately pretty flat and straight where I live...

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
i have about 2.75" ground clearance and i'm dragging frame, kickstand and tag all ver the place...i just take it a little easier throught the tight stuff, over speed bumps and into driveways etc. fucker rains sparks at night according to people who have been behind me.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be glad to hook you up with some titanium and even some filler rod so you could weld them to the places you are dragging...... it will protect your structural stuff for the stress riser inducing grindage action and really put on one hell of a light show

just make sure you don't have any random fuel leaks

I'll have to say...... nothing is more beautiful to weld than ti

appreciate you guys being candid

I hate seeing inexperienced people bite off more than they can chew chasing a certain look...... especially if they really don't have prior knowledge

Not knocking anyone at all that chooses to go that route but a bike scraping can get you killed or maimed under the right circumstances

and you just never know when you may really need to crank that bike over to avoid something like maybe an oncoming care..... or running out of road going into a curve too hot

·
Registered
584 Posts
Iv'e got 3" under my rear pipe (lowest spot, 56 pan/shovel/ridgid) and it still isn"t enough. The way it's been grinding, I will have some more clearance soon though. The kick stand hits on the other side and while grinding looks wild at night, your always a 1/16" away from disaster. I welded a hardtail section on the frame I have now and cut the top legs too short. This kicked the axle up and lowered the bike, It's too late now and I just have to take it easy but it drives me nuts to see my wifes Triumph blow me away in the corners.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll hook you up with some ti cut offs too if you want some

I hear you on the nimble trump kicking that pan

One of my favorite things to do was embarass big inch softails on the northern end of 141 with my 42 RWHP black triump

100 curves in less than 10 miles

if you don't have good brakes, ability to lean beyond 50 degrees, at least 4 inches of clearance for the off camber and bumpy stuff, and good tires...... you won't get to the end quickly and parts of it will be damned scary if you decide more than 20 mph is your speed

and seeing those softails pushed hard..... unwind and hop during rebound...... sure is interesting

being behind or next to a bike high centering on itself...... isn't

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I dont have the bike experience others here have. My time on the street these last few years is minimal. But, I grew up on bikes and my first bad acident was a high-side,tank slapper. I wouldnt wish that on anyone. I actually had the bike laid down and hooked a culvert with the frame as I went off the road, I hi sided from the freakin ground! Talk about a Trebouchet!

HackAsaw said:
I'll hook you up with some ti cut offs too if you want some

I hear you on the nimble trump kicking that pan

One of my favorite things to do was embarass big inch softails on the northern end of 141 with my 42 RWHP black triump

100 curves in less than 10 miles

if you don't have good brakes, ability to lean beyond 50 degrees, at least 4 inches of clearance for the off camber and bumpy stuff, and good tires...... you won't get to the end quickly and parts of it will be damned scary if you decide more than 20 mph is your speed

and seeing those softails pushed hard..... unwind and hop during rebound...... sure is interesting

being behind or next to a bike high centering on itself...... isn't

1 - 16 of 16 Posts