Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a belt drive on mine and I noticed it *seems* to leak a fair amount...?

How much does your guys bikes leak?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Broman said:
I haven't met a bike that doesn't leak.
I've never had a triumph. But last time my mother inlaw was over she looked at my shovel and asks if it was running. Then corrected herself when she saw the oil puddle "It's leeaking, it's must be alive".

She was right.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Mine leaks out of a couple of different places.
Nothing serious...just enough to mark its territory.
Maybe over the winter I'll do something about it....but I know it'll just leak somewhere else.

Think of it as an oil gauge.....if its leaking its got oil!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine started leaking over the gaskets under the rocker covers and the caps lately... A lot..!
Ride it for 10 minutes and my whole motor is covered in oil.. Coming from the top area of the motor..

I'm about to get frustrated about it... It sucks...

I don't know what the problem is... Maybe it builds up an over pressure because I routed the crank case vent back to the oiltank... Strange on the other hand, because the hose is transparent and there was no oil standing in it...
But when I leave the crank case vent open, it just sprays fuckin' oil all over the place...

I'm confused...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Mine started leaking over the gaskets under the rocker covers and the caps lately... A lot..!
Ride it for 10 minutes and my whole motor is covered in oil.. Coming from the top area of the motor..
are you restricting the rocker feed at all?

running the stock oil pump?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Rocker feed restriction....?? Please tell me all about this..!!

Oil pump... It's probably an old style Morgo.... Not stock because it hardly
sometimes when an aftermarket oilpump is used (and even not) i restrict
the line to the rockers if theres too much flow (only needs a dribble)

usually with the jet out of a carb...i grind the lobes on the jet down to
where just the threads and the round body is left and thread it in the line

if its too small itll squirt hard....just right will be a steady dribble

all of them have been different sizes i guess according to each mill

one i had to drill out a little to get it just right

p.s. you see the crank vent deal i posted?

·
Registered
396 Posts
one sure fire way to verify too much oil is to take the valve adjustment caps off and fire it up to see if it overflows

if it does 1 of 2 things is the cause... not draining or too much oil flow

check the line to the tank and see if it you can blow through it
hook a hose to it and blow into it with your mouth...should blow freely
if not the line could be clogged causing your overflow to the head problem
or could be the tank vent IS clogged and building up pressure

·
Registered
568 Posts
The tank vent is fine.. The oil return line isn't clogged either.. When the bike is running I can watch into the oiltank and see the return line... It flows very well.

I'll check the flow with the caps off... I used to be okay...

It sounds kinda weird, but... it could be that the bottom of my rocker boxes isn't straight/flat... I'm gonna check that too. They have been mounted for a long time on my old, fucked up cylinderhead...

I got some work to do... It'll be fine in the end I hope.. I can only learn from it.

I heard before that it's not easy to get a Trump to run perfectly good.

Another interesting question like the one in this thread would be... How fast does your triumph run... Like top speed, or close to it... I have the feeling that I made a lot of progress with this motor, but it's not perfect yet..

It would be cool to set up a thread about basic carb settings, what plugs to run, etc. when using a carb with a velocity stack and open pipes..

A big bored TR6 should be able to reach 110 - 120 MPH... or am I talking shit now..

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
INteresting...I've been playing with the oil flow on my 70 tr6...I wanted more oil to the top end and played around with different line sizing to the rockers. I think I have too much now....gettin leaky. I think rask cycle has restrictors, but I thought they were for the return line to increase flow to the rockers.

As far as top speed, mine hits about150mph in second gear...I'm kinda afraid to shift into third, cuz I tried it once and it pulled the front end for about a mile.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
I routed the crank case vent back to the oiltank....
so do you have the oiltank vented to open air in some way then?

if not, youre building up some pressure there, i did the same thing when i first got my bike and it leaked like mad

crankcase and oil tank both need to breathe

·
Registered
568 Posts
Brian Douglas said:
so do you have the oiltank vented to open air in some way then?

if not, youre building up some pressure there, i did the same thing when i first got my bike and it leaked like mad

crankcase and oil tank both need to breathe
Yeah.. My cap on my oiltank has a small breather hole... Looks like it works great. It's an old Norton oiltank which had an overflow tube which was guided to the chain on old Norton race bikes... I used that tube to route the crankcase vent to.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I assume you know the trick about sanding your head surface and rocker boxes down with sandpaper on a piece of glass to ensure flatness. . .

Flyin' Dutchman said:
It sounds kinda weird, but... it could be that the bottom of my rocker boxes isn't straight/flat... I'm gonna check that too. They have been mounted for a long time on my old, fucked up cylinderhead..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Yeah.. My cap on my oiltank has a small breather hole....
my breather tube (without goining out and measuring it) is like 3/8's id
anything smaller than that wont breathe enough and create positive crankase pressure(bad), unless you run a pcv valve instead which will make negative pressure (good)

the hole in the oil cap is probably just right to vent the oil tank though

·
Registered
568 Posts
It really works... Breather tube is 3/8 in diam... Like yours..

I'm gonna ride my bike again tomorrow... See what happens with the leakage at the rocker boxes now.

What year is your motor Brian? Do you have the crankcase vent through the intake cam like me..? (mine's a '69..)

BTW.. I sent you a PM...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts