Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who own or have owned Triumphs, how loud are/were your rocker boxes? I have nothing to compare to, but I have a pre-unit with a 65 top end that seems really loud. The valve clearances check out fine and everything is getting the correct amount of lube. Maybe it's normal, but what's TOO loud??? Wes? Maurice? Triumph Terror? Anyone??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine are noisy when they quit bein noisy its time to worry because they are like volkswagen beetle motors and they tighten up as you run them.Also remember if you snug your rorcker boxes down you may want to check the lash again cause this can change it.

Shoe

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be out riding and I can't help but take my eyes off the pavement for a minute to look and see if there are parts flying out of the top end. I don't mind the noise as long as it's supposed to be that way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
They are loud, always. Ironhead triumph motors are a lot quieter, the other top tip is wear a thickly padded, tight fitting helmet so you can't here anything. Also if you're riding and it all suddenly seems a bit louder than usual you can bet your life that one of the rocker box inspection caps has unscrewed with the vibes and is bouncing down the road behind you about to be run over by a P T Cruiser.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
GumbyChuck said:
What they said.
Brit bike topends have a joyful mechanical noise to them.
I'd say that's the best way to put it.
Mine's a bit noisey as well.....to me its better than having a radio...and I kind of figured if it didn't sound that way I was in trouble.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dragon said:
another phenomenon I noticed on a rigid Triumph running a small, flat-bottomed tank, when the gas got below about 1/2, the top end noise would resonate in the tank, seeming much worse ..
I think I have a little of this going on! I never thought of that before! I have the tank pretty rigedly mounted right now too (that's getting changed), so that probably adds to the resonance. That's a good "fun fact of the day".

A slappy tappet is a happy tappet! I like that!

I shouldn't have a problem with this (I'd have a hole in my piston by now if I did), but what does the eeveel detonation sound like on these motors?

·
Registered
630 Posts
scootermcrad said:
I shouldn't have a problem with this (I'd have a hole in my piston by now if I did), but what does the eeveel detonation sound like on these motors?
hard to describe, but if you've ever heard pinging on a motor, that's what it sounds like...waaaay different than tappet clatter.

pinging....tink...tink.tink....
versus
rush clatter clatter rush whoosh clatter clatter

and usually found on long uphills during hot days using shitty gas

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I think I found a good comparison for the sounds (at idle anyway)... the rockesr sound like industrial sewing machines all operating together.

I went out for a ride last night solely to listen to the rockers... she ran BAD!!?? It's hard to hear the top end over my pipes, but what I can hear doesn't sound too healthy. I've got some major clutch work to do this weekend so I'm going to tear into the timing and check things out. Everyone cross your fingers I haven't been detinating the shit out of it.... although I still think I would be pushing up and down a couple hollow pistons by now if I were detonating.

Hoping to shit I'm not detonating or pre-igniting... what should I see by just general inspection with the plugs out?? Damaged plugs? Piston tops? Cylinder walls? On pre-units how far can the spark be advanced or retarded before I start seeing/hearing bad things? Keep in mind I have an AAU mounted up to a Joe Hunt... This is a good question for Wes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts