Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just kind of trying to figure out if there is something mechanically wrong with my bike. its a 1968 triumph bonneville. it has a 19 tooth front sprocket and one of those ugly as sin conical rear hub wheels out back. the rear wheel sprocket is a 47 tooth. while on the freeway, my bike can only do a mere 60 mph. if i get bold i can do 65, but the engine is vibrating like hell and it has no more power. even when the bike is in neutral and i and rev the engine, it vibrates and the rpms seem to top out very quick. there is no discernable knock. slap or pinging associated with engine problems. my friend rides a 56 650 preunit. his does 90. my other friend has a 70 triumph and he said he has gone over 100 on the freeway. they both have 4 speeds. is this just how triumphs run? or do you guys think something is wrong with my bike? any opinions or help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

diego

·
Registered
338 Posts
Get rid of that 17 tooth trans sprocket in favor of something a couple of teeth larger (21 tooth).
flying clutchman said:
i am just kind of trying to figure out if there is something mechanically wrong with my bike. its a 1968 triumph bonneville. it has a 19 tooth front sprocket and one of those ugly as sin conical rear hub wheels out back. the rear wheel sprocket is a 47 tooth. while on the freeway, my bike can only do a mere 60 mph. if i get bold i can do 65, but the engine is vibrating like hell and it has no more power. even when the bike is in neutral and i and rev the engine, it vibrates and the rpms seem to top out very quick. there is no discernable knock. slap or pinging associated with engine problems. my friend rides a 56 650 preunit. his does 90. my other friend has a 70 triumph and he said he has gone over 100 on the freeway. they both have 4 speeds. is this just how triumphs run? or do you guys think something is wrong with my bike? any opinions or help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!!

diego

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Faust said:
Get rid of that 17 tooth trans sprocket in favor of something a couple of teeth larger (21 tooth).
mos def , the front sprocket is too tiny . I had a 20 on my bike and it was great from light to light . but rediculous on the freeway . I went up to a 26 and now it has great topend and still a good start off the line . more mellow though if you want to pull away without doing a wheelie . That vibrating you are feeling is the motor trying to explode .

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Machine the front case and if you do it right ya can get a 22 on there I believe.I cant remeber but mine is either a 21 or 22 and works fine.My bike ran 86mph at 15.3 in the 1/4 at the hamb drags missing 2nd gear shifts which killed about 300 feet on the track.I know going down the hiway i have had her going close to 100mph but at extended periods of time she wants to diassemble herself....

Shoe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did buy a 21 tooth front sprocket, but i nearly lost a finger on my right hand at work and havent been able to install it. my bike does run pretty hot. on warm days it stumbles off the line. it picks up rpms ok, but its kind of a turd. i am not a big guy, and it doesnt move very well with me on it. =mike=, long time no see. christmas time is rolling around. almost time for tamales. thanks for all the helo guys

diego

1 - 9 of 9 Posts