·
Registered
177 Posts
greaseball said:
Just curious???
I've had alot of people tell me I would be FOOLISH to try to ride my Triumph
From southern OREGON to SAC??

What do ya think?
Well, first of all, do you have the proper security clearance to get into the Stratigic Air Command in Colorado? If you don't, then yes, it would be foolish.

har har.

ok, seriously...if it's got a decent top-end...why wouldn't it make it? bring oil...and tools.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In 1958, Mike Hailwood and Dan Shorey won the 500-mile endurance race at Thruxton on a Triumph 650. I'm thinkin' if the bike's in good shape, you tune'er up, adjust the valves, and change your oil (and do like Buster says and bring a little extra w/some basic tools) that you and the bike will be happy campers.

Now if it's a hardtail with some kind of metal tractor seat on it, then your ass will be much more the worse for wear than the bike. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Don't know how far that is, but I rode my hardtail unit triumph 150 miles one day, then 150 back the next...check everything before you leave and look it over at the gas stops. bring tools, shit does vibrate loose.

·
Registered
504 Posts
greaseball said:
Just curious???

What do ya think?
i've met several guys that rode a triumph that far. they had a sore butt and that's it.

vibration is one thing, but if you're hands get too numb from vibration, it could be dangerous. so take your time on long trips.

·
Registered
146 Posts
greaseball said:
Just curious???

What do ya think?
is that cause they know you built it?:D

how many miles have you ridden it so far? you just finished it pretty recently, right?
no reason why not, and i have no idea where SAC is.....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am with Chuck 2 weeks ago I rode mine 150 miles in one day and it wasnt bad.Rigid frame solo seat.I only blew out 3 tail lampbulbs,broke one wire terimanal to brake lamp wire and had a end come off a plug wire.Fixed all that little more lock tight and we were good to go rode the same route last weekend.

As much as I hate it I guess I am gonna get me a tool bag for them long runs for said instances and ride on.My bike cruise pretty good at about 70 to 75 miles and hour as we machined the case on my motor and installed the biggest frt sprocket I could without having the chain rub.It ihelps get back some of the topend you lose puttin on a 16 in hog rim.

Gas it up throw some tools in a walmart bag and ride on.Number one tool to take along is a cell phone and the number of someone who has a truck.LoL:D

Shoe

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
You know, I have no idea how many miles I put on mine last year...no odometer....but I tell everyone, "I go everywhere".

Weather its a trip from Boston to Cape Cod and back, just following my nose on a Sunday or around the same block all day long it doesn't matter.
I've left at 9 am and returned at 9 pm just stopping for gas, food and smokes...on a rigid.

I guess what I'm saying is just go.
You'll either make it there or you won't...either way it always gets sorted out.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That kind of reminds me....
Someone Truth knows rode from Boston to Vegas I think.
I'm pretty sure that's what I saw on his DVD.

Say Rob.....did you make it up to the Road Agent's show last weekend?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Richie said:
That kind of reminds me....
Someone Truth knows rode from Boston to Vegas I think.
I'm pretty sure that's what I saw on his DVD.

Say Rob.....did you make it up to the Road Agent's show last weekend?
nope, 1st show i missed this year....sucks im bummed. but the old time drags at raceway park are comming up as well as the brooklyn rumblers and nj rumblers shows!

·
Registered
287 Posts
greaseball said:
Just curious???

What do ya think?
Go for it. I just did 250 on my BSA this past sunday....

·
Registered
421 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
Number one tool to take along is a cell phone and the number of someone who has a truck.LoL:D

Shoe
You aren't kiddin'. I don't know how we all missed stating the most important thing until now. LOL

·
Registered
583 Posts
Any bike properly built and maintained will go anywhere you want to go. It is a must though to use locktite and steel lock nuts (not the ones with nylon inserts) on everything. In 2001 my wife (on 1965 Triumph) an me ( on a 1965 Pan/shovel) took a three week 3,600 mile trip to Sturgis an then around the suronding states. We had the exhaust spigot on her Triumph loosen up once and other than rejetting for altitude that was it. Bring a quart of oil, a peanut can with some nuts and bolts, electrical wire, bailing wire and electrical tape, and some basic tools and you'll be able to handle most small hassels. If anything bigger happens, you'd be suprised just how many bike friendly people are out there ready to help out.. Good luck and have Fun!!

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
I rode my 70' Norton 750 Commando from San Diego to Vancouver Canada and back and once from San Diego to New York. Not a Triumph but kinda close :)
greaseball said:
Just curious???

What do ya think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
chicoman7 said:
I rode my 70' Norton 750 Commando from San Diego to Vancouver Canada and back and once from San Diego to New York. Not a Triumph but kinda close :)
Dude, you rode cross country commando? Didn't your sack get cold?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did the same ride with Gumby Chuck... 150 each way...

I don't have a speedo, but I'm on 3 years after a rebuild... I ride the hell out of mine... I give it tender love & maintenance... However, when I ride it, I ride it like there is no tomorrow...

A well built motor with the proper maintenance will last a lifetime...

·
Registered
421 Posts
PONY said:
If anything bigger happens, you'd be suprised just how many bike friendly people are out there ready to help out.. Good luck and have Fun!!
Pony, you are absolutely right. Bike friendly people will come from the most unexpected places.

I blew a clutch (almost said 'I blew a tranny' but with Nads here now, that's some dicey shit) about 5 miles outside of what seemed like the tiniest town in Texas, it was cold, raining, AND I was sick. So here I am, sick as a dog, wearin' old jeans, old banged up leather bike jacket, facial hair, wet/greasy pomp startin' to fall, dirty from trying to fix it enough to limp into town and I'm walking along the side of a dark highway in the middle of the night. I'm seriously doubting anyone will have any interest in my ass except maybe a passing trooper. Finally a pickup comes along, I stick out my thumb, just hoping that they don't shoot me for the hell of it and lo and behold this nice, sweet, old couple not only stop to pick me up and take me to town but they take me home and give me dinner and some coffee and whisky before they drop me off at an all-night store to make my phone calls and wait for rescue. Beats the hell outta me. I probably wouldn't have stopped for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts