Jockey Journal Forum banner

how do you make front end longer?

3K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  kickstart257 
#1 ·
I have 41 mm legs (tube and slider). I want to make them 2 in. longer. Can that be done without buying new tubes? Longer springs? add pvc tube to the spring? I asking.

#3 ·
You can make them shorter, but not longer. Now that you know you need 2 more inches, it will make it easy 2 order the right ones. Just make sure you and whoever your ordering from are using the same form of measurment. Some go by different standards of "over".

Sixball

#8 ·
Known a lot of other "old guys" that ran slugs...a couple decades ago. Always thought 6" or under (butted within trees) was safe. Seen some serious front end folds where slugs were intact and the HD tubes bent. I'm pretty sure a friends old daily driver still has them. They were a cheap solution back when lengthened tubes were beyond a lot of budgets. like I said, they work.

I burned out the transformer of my Harbor Freight tube extender. But they'll replace it, right, Doctor?

#11 ·
+1 on the larger front wheel. Slugs are dangerous as fuck plus I doubt you could find them anymore (you could always make them). 2'' wouldn't be as bad as 8" but still sketchy. Frank's charges $200 for any tubes as far as I know. I got 8'' over from them and a friend of mine got 4''. Will 2'' over be very noticable?

#16 ·
You can go shopping for a cheap set of used 4"-6"-8"-over tubes..and have a "friend" with a lathe shorten them down.. (they need to be retreaded also of course)

Where are these 41mm tubes/sliders coming from..? Late model..?

#21 ·
41mm tube lengths

'49-'77 FL = 20"
'77-'84 FL = 20.5"
'80-'83 FLT = 20.5"
'84-'96 FLT = 20-7/8"
'97-up FLT = 20-7/8"
'80-'83 FXWG = 24-7/8"
'84-'86 FXWG = 24-1/4"
'86-'89 FLST(F)= 22-7/8"
'84-'99 FXST = 24.5"
'2000-up FXST = 24.5"
'2000-up FLST = 22-7/8"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.