Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im too cheap to buy the proper tool to install the upper outer pushrod covers on my ironhead....so I

1. compress spring and and lower cover with large flat blade screw driver
2. push upper inner cover into opening in rocker cover
3. reach for outer cover causing large screwdriver to slip off spring
4. cuss
5. repeat steps 1-4 till either done or too pissed to care.

I know you Harley guys will know what Im talking about, so do any of you have a secret method or am I just a retard?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I too am a cheap person.What works for me is to hold bottom down w/screwdriver rest top cover on top of screwdiver and slide top up screwdriver untill it clears bottom.Easier to do than write about.Hope this helps,Frosty

·
Registered
798 Posts
I too had issues, please note the the upper oring must be seated properly and the top tube must be seated properly. I also grinded about 1/16th to 1/18 of an inch off an old set and never had any issues or leaks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Make sure it is seated on the top and bottom good.

Get 2 feet or so of wire or shoelace and wrap it around the pushrod so that it rests on top of the spring holder deal

Use the wire to pull down the spring and slide the deal into place.

I'll never use the screw driver method again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info folks....on another note, the seals are seated well but I had problems with leaks at the bottom around the lifter....so I cut some circular pieces of thin rubber and punched holes slightly bigger than pushrod in the middle...put the seal in place then put the rubber piece over it and follow with pushrod cover....no more leaks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.