Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
The short answer is you don't. You title the finished bike as a special construction. IF you had an already titled pre-69 engine that you blew up some states have a process where you can replace the blown cases and retain the correct year of title with a state-assigned VIN tag, but if you are starting from scratch with non-HD cases (even old ones) you're gonna end up with a special construction bike.

My advice would be find a titled shovel frame, have it hardtailed (or build it as a swingarm bike if that's your thing) and run this motor in that. Title would be for the frame/whole bike and not the engine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be alot of truoble to get a special construction title???Or would it be a better idea to try and find a later model numbered shovel frame and title it like that??Anyone have any experience with these options??

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I don't know how it works in your state, but here if you have 1966 m/c and you replace a blow motor with a aftermarket set of cases you just have it "blue tagged" with as assigned vin number and you still have a 1966 motorcycle with a new engine. I know the vin is off of the engine on HD's before 1970, but it is possible to get the original numbers on the blue tag if you go to CHP for tagging and have the old cases with you.
my argument to DMV has been it doesn't make sense that a 1909 Harley with a replacement motor turns into a 2011 SPCN bike that now requires turn signals.
Many times when you get the wrong interpretation of the rules from one clerk at DMV you pull your paperwork back and get back in line for someone else. It also helps to have a copy of the rule pertaining to you issue with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.