Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted earlier but it got closed for some reason.
Anyway, I purchased a lot of motorcycle parts through a trade deal from an older guy who used to be into harley stuff. He had some health issues and family issues and hasn't touched most of the stuff in years. He just wanted to get rid of everything. So I got it, I cleaned out his shop of all motorcycle parts. In the truck loads of stuff I got was a frame. It kinda looks like an aftermarket frame to me and is similar to the easyriders billy bike. It has a vin stamped into it, but looking through all the stuff I got I could not aquire a title. He said it should have been in with all the stuff I got, and said if not, then he doesnt know where it is or what the frame is. He said he has had it so long he doesnt remember where it came from. Could have been his sons, that is now long gone. Basically told me that he just wanted his shop cleaned out of everything and didn't want the hassle of anything in his shop anymore and was gonna rent it out, so needed it empty. He just wanted me to scrap it all. I want to know if I can still use this frame? Or should I even bother with it or just scrap it? I would hate to trash something that someone could use. Can I contact DMV to get them to run the numbers even if it is an aftermarket frame?
This is the bike frame I thought it resembled.

here is the frame I got

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's an aftermarket frame with about 40* of rake and it is similar to the bike you posted, but that is not the original Billy Bike or even a good copy. If you're going to reference the Billy Bike, that one isn't it.
You could start looking through the catalogs and find one that looks like yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the picture but no info on it, the frame kinda resembled the one I got. looking at the neck plate and top motor mount. I know the original Billy bike is an original harley frame and this one is most likely aftermarket. I am also not trying at all anyway to duplicate the billy bike either by the way!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I got offered the supposedly "real" frame from Fonda's bike on a previous US trip . Sleezy bloke called Ty in North Vegas . He freaked when I explained that the missing bikes were stolen and that he would be in alot of strife for handling stolen bike parts . After that the story changed several times . Needless to say I didn't buy anything off him .......

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, I remember watching Easyriders and trying to figgure out the way they were able to have an EVO motor way back then with fake pan tops:)

Sixball
HAHAHA Dragon is that you?????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I think the guy probably had the title somewhere but doesn't feel like or care to find it. I honestly don't think he has much longer to live, with all his health issues and just doesn't care! He was basically just wanting to scrap everything or get a dumpster and throw it all in, so I just took it all off his hands. Unfortunately the loss of the title for the frame will most likely just cause it to go in my pile for the next trip to the scrapyard. I don't think at all it is the exact frame for the billy bike or anything of that nature, I just thought it resembled that style. Maybe in the meantime I could figure out a way for someone to use this.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well, I dunno what kind of frame it is but that is a VIN number, and according to this you might be outta luck on the title. A VIN Check run on that number comes back as total loss by fire, 7/5/1999. My guess, the bike was a production chop of some sort (like a Big Dog) that caught fire and was totaled out. You can go to this site and punch in the VIN yourself to see:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Even if the dude had the title there are all kinds of issues and hoops to jump through to get a good title for that frame again. my advice would be cut the back half off to use as a hardtail someday and scrap the front half (or scrap all of it if that's what you'd rather do).

·
Registered
691 Posts
Couldn't someone with a titled pre-1970 motor use that frame?
Yes and no. It's got a legit in-the-system VIN on the neck. If a cop sees those numbers and they come up as "totaled" but you've got tags on the bike, you might be in for some trouble. You could paint over or otherwise "obscure" those neck numbers, but that would technically be illegal.

Nick, someone might buy it cheap for the back half if you wanna go through the trouble. I'd post it up in the classifieds for $200 or something and state that it has a VIN that corresponds to a fire-totaled bike and you have no paperwork. It's definitely still worth more as a frame with bad numbers than as scrap tubing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have the guy your getting it from write you a bill of sale. Take the frame to the Delaware DMV on a Thursday, which Thursday depends on what county your taking it to. The anti-theft guy is there to check these things out. He's a car guy and pretty cool for an old trooper. Tell him your story, he will run the numbers and contact you about your options. I have done this twice with Insurance salvage titled bikes and once with a complete build which had STD cases (circa 1976) that I bought without papers. I know people who have found old Triumps without papers and they have done this and had no problems whatsoever. As a last resort, I'll give you twice the scrap price for it. Hope this helps, and yea, I know, do an intro.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have the guy your getting it from write you a bill of sale. Take the frame to the Delaware DMV on a Thursday, which Thursday depends on what county your taking it to. The anti-theft guy is there to check these things out. He's a car guy and pretty cool for an old trooper. Tell him your story, he will run the numbers and contact you about your options. I have done this twice with Insurance salvage titled bikes and once with a complete build which had STD cases (circa 1976) that I bought without papers. I know people who have found old Triumps without papers and they have done this and had no problems whatsoever. As a last resort, I'll give you twice the scrap price for it. Hope this helps, and yea, I know, do an intro.....
Yeah I will do that, I never thought of that option honestly. I have dealt with the theft department before but that was for an old truck I had and an old out of state car. Went pretty smooth, guys were knowledgeable and easy to work with you. thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts