Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Now I've got some problems!!! Yes, all the same tank! I'm super careful about my chain tension and I guess it got away from me! Not worn through, but must be right on the brink of disaster! :eek:

No clue why the top fitting is breaking around the weld. Only thing I can think of is that I must have side loaded the breather tube at some point. :eek:

Not too worried about the repair on the bottom as I am the repair to that area around the weld. I won't be welding it personally, but I have a feeling that spot might be tricky for whoever does! Probably won't look good after it's done.

While I'm at it, I'm going to have some tabs welded on so I can put a ware strip or guard on that tank. Can't have this problem anymore!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you have any flex in that oil line, such as a piece of rubber hose at one end to allow flex??? Moon Tank??? Worst case scenario, you could weld some bungs on the tank, and mount it higher up...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
yep, yer fucked. better check into General Hospital for a colostomy bag....

Probably should ditch the 'hard' piping and try to remount the moon tank brackets higher or with different mounts. good luck, let us know.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
lilbill said:
since you're going to get some welding done on the tank anyway i'd suggest building a clearance tunnel above the chain. AND put a nylon wear shoe in it.
That's what I was thinking. Cut a section out of the bottom and weld in a tunnel for clearance for the chain. Nylatron would be a good wear strip, it's nylon with molybdinum {sp} , self lubricating,in it. McMaster-Carr has it. Your crack at the weld could be caused by wrong filler wire too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
noboD said:
That's what I was thinking. Cut a section out of the bottom and weld in a tunnel for clearance for the chain. Nylatron would be a good wear strip, it's nylon with molybdinum {sp} , self lubricating,in it. McMaster-Carr has it. Your crack at the weld could be caused by wrong filler wire too.
Your fix kind of implies it would be OK for the chain to rub on that; I don't think I'd want that to happen at all! I'd vote for relocating the tank upwards and putting a "just in case" wear strip, but only because it could double as a patch.

I think the fitting cracked because of the weld process used. It has the earmarks of a classic shrinkage crack. Should be easy to (carefully) gouge the crack and re-weld, but with multiple small-depth weld layers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DosTrumps said:
Your fix kind of implies it would be OK for the chain to rub on that; I don't think I'd want that to happen at all! I'd vote for relocating the tank upwards and putting a "just in case" wear strip, but only because it could double as a patch.

I think the fitting cracked because of the weld process used. It has the earmarks of a classic shrinkage crack. Should be easy to (carefully) gouge the crack and re-weld, but with multiple small-depth weld layers.
i think also on welding any tank or enclosed metal, should have a hose inserted with argon same as the tig gun mix and make sure the atmosphere in there is sheilding from burn through, it helps the integrity of the weld also,you can't always see th back side of a thin material weld a lot of shit is going on melting metal ,in that little ball of fire anything you can do to help it is best

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you know anyone with a lathe? I would machine a new bung with a lip on it to help widen the weld area.This way you can remove the old bung, drill it out a little larger, put the new bung in and weld to the outer lip. Welding it should not be a problem, just make sure that the tank is super clean, inside and out. You don't want any contamination in the weld bead. Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Man bro that sucks but always remember it could have been much worse you could have ran out of oil and blew the motor up.It's not that bad and i know you'll be on the road soon with i smart fix.GOOD LUCK JEFF

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sucks man. :( Not a happy guy right now. It feels like everytime I think I'm "to the end" I find something that ends up being major!
Thanks for your support and suggestions everyone!

Here's a couple more pictures I just took that show the chain clearance and position relative to the tank. There is about 1" between the tank and chain in it's static position.

How much up and down play should I have? Been trying to keep it around 3/4". It's a new chain, so that's been a challenge.

I need to take another break from this bike. This was an instant "burn-out"!

When I get back in the fix it mode, I'll check with a guy that does some welding for me and see what he can do. I'm going to consider the new bung with the lip. And there WILL be a guard and maybe even a slot. I can probably score some c-channel from work to do the job.

:( FUCK!

·
Registered
396 Posts
get used to it...if you ride a rigid trump shit breaks

the chain rub can be fixed with a tensioner to stop the slap

3.4" play (total) is plenty

the bung crack looks to me to be from vibes

youve GOT to have somewhere inline to dissipate it (rubber end)

personally id send that shit back to moon for that part of the fix

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
****** said:
get used to it...if you ride a rigid trump shit breaks

the chain rub can be fixed with a tensioner to stop the slap

3.4" play (total) is plenty

the bung crack looks to me to be from vibes

youve GOT to have somewhere inline to dissipate it (rubber end)

personally id send that shit back to moon for that part of the fix
The tube that's attached to the elbow is not attached to anything. It just hangs there. It's a hard line that had a hose on the end of it that went to my primary, but was only attached briefly. 95% of the time it's been just hangin' around. You can see what the tube looks like in this pic:

I'm going to contact Moon today and see what they say about it. Maybe I'll luck out and they'll replace it instead of trying to fix it. :rolleyes: BBAAHHHAAA!! Yeah right!! Now back to reality!!

I've been thinking more and more about puting a piece of aluminum c-channel in the bottom of the tank to allow clearance. Some welding has to happen there anyway.

Lookin' like I'm going to be down and out for awhile!

Going to look into get my chain tensioner back up and running. Here's a mock up picture I did with it. Will need to make some changes so it will run up to speed...

I've got my work cut out for me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts