Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Seen quite a few of em. Von Dutch made one. He put the BMW motor in a VW buggy and a VW motor in a beamer sickle. I think he made trany adapter plates.

Has anyone heard of using a VW piston on a BSA lower end? Heard it was an oober cheap way to get big cc's.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOL......Gotta Love it. When I was about 14yrs old my and lost in anything motorcycle (some things never change) the old man came running into my room at about sunrise one frosty (real frosty) April morning shouting that a Half Harley-Half VW bike had just parked out front. Man i was woken from a dead sleep, in my jim jams and totally freaked about seeing such a beast, so i run out side full of enthuisiasm and questions..............Theres nothin there except white and ice, I turn around to say WTF and the old man Smiles at me and says April Fools...........and locks me out. Bastard.

Part of my future project stash now is an extended r60/69 chassis and a hollowed out BMW gearbox with an adapter to a VW engine. I might just get into that one soon. in memory of the ol bastard. How about some more pics. Thanks for the nice memory.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Cromagnum said:
Part of my future project stash now is an extended r60/69 chassis and a hollowed out BMW gearbox with an adapter to a VW engine. I might just get into that one soon. in memory of the ol bastard. How about some more pics. Thanks for the nice memory.

a quick googling brought this BMW hybrid ..

what a shame for no bigger pix .. likewise with kool things that get thumbnail-ed here, then open still woefully small ..

article : http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/BMW-VW/

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
770 Posts
that has potential for a serious drag bike. My sisters 2117 makes suposedly more than 150 hps (past owner said so), not to mention decent tourque. Cooling would become an issue, but I'll bet you could fit a low style porsche fan shrowd in there with the right amount of sawzawlin.

Downdraft webber 48's with brass velocity stacks next to each knee. That would be a cool cycle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
tbone16 said:
Seen quite a few of em. Von Dutch made one. He put the BMW motor in a VW buggy and a VW motor in a beamer sickle. I think he made trany adapter plates.

Has anyone heard of using a VW piston on a BSA lower end? Heard it was an oober cheap way to get big cc's.
Yes, but I used custom liners. Makes for a very thin cylinder wall....I believe it turned out about 800cc. You could see the liner if you looked between the fins on the cylinder. Mr. Cylinder in Cleveland, OH made the liners, bored the cylinders, installed the liners and machined the top end of the rods to accept the VW piston pin. Don't know about cheap...it cost a pretty good chunk of change at the time in 1970's dollars. This was the last mod to the "money pit" BSA A65L that I made before it left for a happier home!
Hank

·
Registered
770 Posts
Apehanger Hank said:
Yes, but I used custom liners. Makes for a very thin cylinder wall....I believe it turned out about 800cc. You could see the liner if you looked between the fins on the cylinder. Mr. Cylinder in Cleveland, OH made the liners, bored the cylinders, installed the liners and machined the top end of the rods to accept the VW piston pin. Don't know about cheap...it cost a pretty good chunk of change at the time in 1970's dollars. This was the last mod to the "money pit" BSA A65L that I made before it left for a happier home!
Hank
Haul some good ass? Worth it at any rate? Had a dude tell me it was cheap as hell, must of had the hook up some were down the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts