Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever make a leaf spring springer fork fer there bikes? my idea is such:

replace the down tubes with a solid steel bar, make a lower wheel bracket that connects to the front spring bars, then up to the spring thats connected to the lower tree or down tubes.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
ive seen about 10 in person, most at the car show here that was in the spring... looked ok, all on big motor bikes, never seen one on a trump

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The original ones on Indians were trailing link which handle alot better than leading links. The leaf would go down on bumps rather than up. You should be able to get a spring from anyplace that sells trailer stuff and cut the leaf in half. I got a leaf spring front end on my chief and I really like it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Creepinogie said:
The original ones on Indians were trailing link which handle alot better than leading links. The leaf would go down on bumps rather than up. You should be able to get a spring from anyplace that sells trailer stuff and cut the leaf in half. I got a leaf spring front end on my chief and I really like it.
Can you post some pics of it so we can take a look at how it works. I like that arrangment but never had a chance to really study one.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Slipkid said:
Can you post some pics of it so we can take a look at how it works. I like that arrangment but never had a chance to really study one.
here's a couple of pics for you. i really dig these front ends and plan on building one for myself sometime in my lifetime. would like to see what you come up with. keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Here's a photo of mine:

http://www.landstromsfoundry.com/Images2/Gallery/38ChiefBobberLarge.jpg

The neat thing about trailing link is the front links work under tension so you don't have to worry about an l/r ratio and the material is stronger undertension than compression like a springer. Also because it's trailing link, the wheel always tracks true even when the bushings get all worn out. Kiwi Indian makes them but they are pretty spendy. I don't see why anyone couldn't make their own.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Creepinogie - Thanks for the picture. Now I understand what you meant about the spring going down under load, and the trailing aspect too.

Great looking bike you got there. That's kinda the look I'm after one of these days. cough-cough-cough... I keep coughing but no cash comes out. Better start saving up I suppose.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Here's a photo of mine:

http://www.landstromsfoundry.com/Images2/Gallery/38ChiefBobberLarge.jpg

The neat thing about trailing link is the front links work under tension so you don't have to worry about an l/r ratio and the material is stronger undertension than compression like a springer. Also because it's trailing link, the wheel always tracks true even when the bushings get all worn out. Kiwi Indian makes them but they are pretty spendy. I don't see why anyone couldn't make their own.
Wow that is a great looking bike.

I am also interested in a front end like that. I have seen the Kiwi ones - but man they are pricy. There has to be someone else out there that makes these things more resonable.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
An original Indian springer goes for about $1500. But they made several styles, smaller ones on the 101 scouts and at least two versions for the chiefs. 1940 and later cheif ones where a little wider, they added some leaves to the springs in 39 and I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me knows more about them You can also buy a European copy of an Indian springer from Indian parts europe. A cool dude named Moen runs it but the springerws are made in Germany. Personally if it were a custom, I'd make it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Creepinogie said:
An original Indian springer goes for about $1500. But they made several styles, smaller ones on the 101 scouts and at least two versions for the chiefs. 1940 and later cheif ones where a little wider, they added some leaves to the springs in 39 and I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me knows more about them You can also buy a European copy of an Indian springer from Indian parts europe. A cool dude named Moen runs it but the springerws are made in Germany. Personally if it were a custom, I'd make it.
Wow - great stuff.... Thanks for the info here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
thankful said:
Wow - great stuff.... Thanks for the info here.
Let me ask you this, Do you know anyone that would make a set custom?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts