Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys quick question,I did some trading awhile back&got one of these home powdercoat kits.Well I didnt get any paperwork on it &I have no idea how I 'charge' the part.Any help would be appreciated.Ive done powder coating before but that was a diffrent set up,the parts got heated first then in a drum where compressed air moved the powder.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I know with my kit that I have you simply prep the parts lay them on a metal tray or rack then take the grounding clip from the box and clip it on the rack, then apply the powder then put the parts in the oven to bake

·
Registered
81 Posts
What he said. You also need to make sure that the metal rack and wires you may have your parts hanging on and, the rack the ground clipped to is of a electrically conductive metal.. steel etc. if possible connect the clip directly to the part you are coating.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1. place cleaned parts on baking rack-(I use the racks that come in standard household ovens)
2. connect ground wire...direct to part is best, if not..to rack..but be sure rack surface is clean & in direct contact with part...when ground is established on my kit a light comes on with pedal step.
3.connect air & plug in electrical cord...
4. shoot powder by pulling trigger(air0 & simulataneously stepping on pedal(electrical charge)
powder should cloud part and coat evenly...not able to be blown off with light puff.....
5. bake part in preheated oven @ apporpriate heat/duration

done!

problems you may have had....
poor ground contact
electrical charge not applied(did u step on pedal?..lol)
part is not clean..or is not metal!
moisture in spray line(filter trap is needed)

test- clip ground wire to part/rack
step on pedal DO NOT PULL TRIGGER(AIR)
place tip of gun up to part/rack
SPARK charge should jump...

if not... somethings up....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Try to spray a part without the clip on, then spray one with the clip on...you sill see the difference it makes.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it working...just when I pull the trigger nothing comes out so I have to turn the little knob under the trigger for the powder to come out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go to home depot and get a grounding bar and put it in the ground,with the wire attached to rack(that grounds the rack)Place piece on rack and attach the power supply ground to it.taht is the best way to ground.Make sure you use about 10 psi for the gun or you will blow the powder off piece.Preheat the oven to approx.400 degrees and bake for 20min after the metal reaches 400 degrees. let cool slowly or the finish will crack or crinkle.But before all this go to Caswell plating and join the forum.Also if the gun came from them you can download a manual free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts