Jockey Journal Forum banner
181 - 200 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I was reminded of this when reading Fab Kevin's article in "The Horse" about turning front Fatboy wheels into rears. He was starting his tapped holes in the drill press.

This is a tap wrench that fits on to the drill chuck. The allen screw snugs into one of the chuck key's holes. It works pretty good, and insures that the threaded holes are straight and perpendicular to whatever is resting on the drill press table.

I can't take credit for the idea. This was in a book of projects we had to choose from when I took a junior college machine shop course 20+ years ago. We had to complete a project from the book before we could do anything with our own stuff. I figured I'd make something that I could actually use.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had some time to kill at work and decided to make a tunnel roller for an upcoming gas tank build. I can take my tunnel, throw it in the brake for my 90°'s and everything will be nice and professional looking, not caveman style.
It breaks down and assembles easily. Slide it together and C-clamp it to the bench. I machined some slugs for the rollers, everything else was done with a grinder and a little tig'n. Makes a nice bend. It's pretty self explanatory, just look at the pictures.
I got this idea from Special '79's YouTube channel. Look him up, he's got some great videos posted.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I was reminded of this when reading Fab Kevin's article in "The Horse" about turning front Fatboy wheels into rears. He was starting his tapped holes in the drill press.

This is a tap wrench that fits on to the drill chuck. The allen screw snugs into one of the chuck key's holes. It works pretty good, and insures that the threaded holes are straight and perpendicular to whatever is resting on the drill press table.
I keep meaning to make one of these. I always forget until I need to tap a hole.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Here is a tool that I made to get these vintage starburst caps off, since they always seem to be too close to the gas tank to use a typical large allen wrench.

It is just a 5/16" bolt cut off and welded to a piece steel tubing at a slight offset.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
There's some great ideas in this thread for sure. Here's a few things I made a couple years back when I was trying to get my shop a little more put together. Nothing special, but they make working in my shop more enjoyable and they get used everyday.

Good sized fabrication table. Perfectly square, 2x2" with 1/8" wall square tubing frame with 1/4" shelves. My welder fits perfectly in the little nook underneath on the cart that I made for it (and no, the little red stool isn't my welding cart!).

181 - 200 of 346 Posts