Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what kind of home made tools and stuff you guys have... I've already heard of a few.

On guy said a washing machine motor for a buffer.

Also seen a drill in a vice and a grinder become a lathe.

What else ya'll got?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to have a bench grinder stand made out of an extra wheel and a used driveshaft. Worked like a charm, but would vibrate half way across the room if you didnt keep your foot on it.

All this has me wondering if I could make a decent small scale lathe out of my drill press.

Keep em coming, good ideas I don't think I've thought of! Its amazing how you realize you need something when someone shows what they've got.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tubing Bender. Design by Blackjack. Adapted to take a locally produced hatchback hub. I've built several frames with it so far and recommend it highly

Easy enough to use that even Neo Dutch had a go.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what Hatch back hub do you use with that?

·
Registered
712 Posts
It works very well and will replicate bends easily. I use a high tech method to replicate bends. I mark the hub with a piece of chalk and then bend the next piece to were the chalk mark is. I used a Holden Barina hub which is common as muck here , Blackjack used a Ford Fiesta and I've heard some guys in the USA use Rabbit or Jack Rabbit(memories not so good) hub as well. It's a very flexible design that has at least 12 variants that I know of . It's Low Tech but it works. Here's where to find it.

http://www.thefont.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bikes/tube_bender.htm

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is what I made to put louvers in exhaust tube for making baffels
I use the angle aluminium to shim for different diameter tubing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There was a thread about engine turning finishes recently. You can glue some sandpaper to the bottom of a valve and stick that in your drill to use for engine turning. Bigger valve, bigger pattern.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I got a homemade wheel truing stand:

I got a homemade clutch hub puller:

And last but not least, I got a homemade phase converter so I can run my 3-phase mill & lathe off of residential 220 juice:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the topic of that pipe bender... I was thinking that a come-along strapped to it would probably make the bending easier. Maybe safer, unless the cable breaks.

Love where this is going!

Gotta see more stuff. I'm just a broke white boy, cant afford lathes and pipe benders and all that shit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oil furnace broke.
Replaced with gas furnace.
Needed a use for old furnace fan.

This thing blows the smoke out of the garage when I am welding or when I set something on fire.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.