Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea i know they are fugly and all the rest but i kinda fancy a sidecar on my 45 chop im building [maybe ive been looking on ebay too much...]

anyone ever seen it done on a chop?

only seen them on scooters and old bikes nothing really custom

i think it could be a good laugh - make it detachabe too so i dont have to have it on all the time....

well - if anyone has seen any cool pics let me know

of course this might just be a brain fart but it seems kinda cool at the minute

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well now its funny you mention sidecars cause I bought a old one 2 weeks ago.Its kinda cool art deco looking.Gonna see what I can come up with got it so me and my 8 year old daughter and wife can do a little puttin around out in the country.But I know I cant have no stock lookin stuff.

I not sure what kinda bike its goin on yet got another stock lightin BSA in pcs but probl gonna go on some kinda big twin.I will keep ya guys posted.

Shoe

·
Registered
344 Posts
don#'t have any pics, but an old friend did have one on a mild K'd Guzzi and i think he talked about putting one on his pan, although when his 4 yr old daughter got in it she loved it. as soon as he fired the engine, she shit and woudln't go anywhere near the thing... just a point if your planning on taking small kids...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope no small kids here... just for a laugh really - not something you see many of so thought it could be fun - and putting it onto a real basic no bones flathead chop too... we will see - gotta build the bike first and get it through msva first

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Been riding my daughter in front up and down the road since she was 2 yrs old.rRides in the pits in my drag car loves the noise,speed and wind...She thinks she is the female version of Burt Munro:D
I had it sittin in the driveway and walk out of the house and she says somethin like we need to get this on the bike its gonna be a whole lot more fun than riden in front....

Shoe
Moonshiners said:
don#'t have any pics, but an old friend did have one on a mild K'd Guzzi and i think he talked about putting one on his pan, although when his 4 yr old daughter got in it she loved it. as soon as he fired the engine, she shit and woudln't go anywhere near the thing... just a point if your planning on taking small kids...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
In an old issue of Iron Horse a dude called the Bloke had a Triumph chop with a side car, it looked pretty cool !

·
Registered
825 Posts
I put a side car on my Sporty when I broke my leg so that I could keep ridin.

The thing is this, it sucks, it makes you bike VERY hard to ride....all the physics are wrong....Yes it works but it is hard to ride. When you brake it pulls bad one way, when you accel it pulls hard the other......

They ARE fun for your passengers though.......

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
more what i had in mind than these old proper sidecars - and on a rigid too - perfect - ok where do i buy an aircraft fuel tank??!! :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
that sidecar is pretty damn cool, but for safety reasons, it seems that wheel is pretty far back.

I also have never built, owned, ridden, or ridden in a sidecar. This is just my first thought when I saw it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
labelkills said:
that sidecar is pretty damn cool, but for safety reasons, it seems that wheel is pretty far back.

I also have never built, owned, ridden, or ridden in a sidecar. This is just my first thought when I saw it.
Sumo, i'd go with you dude, but i'm in Prague that weekend but could be a good excuse to go to The A Bombers weekend in Vesteros (S. Gothenburg), I used to work there, funky lil town, i seen a 2 swedish airplane parts/sidecars.... Not loads but enough that you could get one over there if you look hard enough...

Sure someone on here could point you in the right direction...

Anyone know the guy that painted his like an old war plane shark type bomber thing... if you seen it you'll know what i mean...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I built and roadraced a vintage rig. Looks nothing like a motorcycle to the uninitiated. I've also wanted to put a sidecar on my 45, once it's no longer a basket. A few thoughts - the bike will have to be geared low because of minimal power. Don't plan any interstate trips. A sidecar mounted on anything with excessive rake and/or trail will handle more horribly than you could possibly imagine. Long bikes need not apply. The less trail, the easier it will turn and the more prone it will be to headshake. Steering dampers are your friend. Too much trail means it'll be a bitch to steer and the forks will want to twist. Remember, this thing will handle completely unlike a solo bike.

That Swedish fuel tank sidecar makes me sweat and pant. It's beautiful. I would be fairly straightforward to build a sidecar frame, but the body would take some finesse. Where can I get a fuel tank?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think we have just driven up the value of old fuel tanks here....

that body would take more finisse than i think i have... to be honest with myself

1 - 20 of 224 Posts