Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Anders Johansson, 30 years old and live in the northern parts of Sweden. My obsession (hobby is not the right word...) is building gas turbines which I have been doing for the last 10 years with increasing success.

Right now my main project for the last 2.5 years is to build a land speed gas turbine bike to run in the Omega class at Bonneville some day, I have the gas turbine core finished and test run several times and am well on the way to finish the power turbine stage.

Here is the movie from the latest run:

A chromemoly motorcycle frame is being constructed around it and by the next summer I should have the frame out of the jig and on its wheels with the drive train completed.

Motorcycles are another interest as you might have guessed, I have up until now been mostly interested in horsepower with a home built turbocharged Suzuki GSX750 and a pretty tuned Hayabusa but grown tired of the constant chasing of higher and higher speeds at public roads and bought a Bonneville -67 which I am turning into some sort of rat bobber.

What else to say? I live in a house 25km from the nearest town with my feancee and our two little girls, I weld optic fibres for a living and am a big dragracing fan. Never say no to a beer when offered either.:)

Cheers!
/Anders

·
Registered
34 Posts
Välkommen! And thanks for a great intro with promising prospects! Keep us updated.

Greetings from the Capital

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tackar!

We are a couple of friends who attend the Swedish Speed Weekend on Ice with home built jet vehicles, among other stuff we´ve built a steam rocket powered sled and a jet-kick with afterburner.

A video from a jetkick test before one of the Speed Weekends, we have great fun although any real success on the race track is yet to come.

Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All the rotating parts like turbine wheels and compressor wheel are bought, I haven´t got the equipment to make them myself and since I will be sitting on top of the engine I don´t really feel like taking any chances with those parts...

The gas turbine rotor is Garrett TV94 and the power turbine wheel is from an Rolls Royce Allison 250C20 helicopter engine.

The bike won´t be jet powered, it will have a free power turbine that converts the jet thrust to torque so I will have a chain drive on it just like a normal motorcycle. According to the calculations I will have roughly 150hp and 140Nm on the rear wheel so it should be pretty quick.

Cheers!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ha ha.... Sweden ROCKS, wellcome - massive greetings from Denmark, see ya at Orsa next year...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.