Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been peripherally aware of this site for quite some time, but been into Japanese bikes mostly, so not spent a lot of time here.

Well that all changed when I couldn't resist a deal for a '67 BSA Hornet frame with a hardtail on the local CL.

Long story short, I'm getting a crash course on Brit twins (even though I swore I'd never buy British Iron again after 3 Land Rovers) but you know how that goes.

So just made a deal to buy a '56 A7 pre-unit motor (well most of a motor) and looking to put that in the frame.

Before anyone says anything - yeah, I'm assuming that there is going to be some heavy lifting to make that work, but I really like chassis work, (and already planning on cutting up the Hornet frame as it's already seen a bunch of that and I have different plans for it, anyhow). I really like Shinya Kimura's pre-unit Triumph (the stance, and the feel) so that's kind of where my thoughts are now, though I certainly don't claim his skills. How much of the original frame remains, depends on where this project goes.

And besides that A17/A10 motor is just too darn pretty (no offense to unit motors, of course).

So now i have to start sourcing parts like a crank, and rocker cover, likely new pistons and rings, etc and just been wondering if I need to stick to a BSA tranny or would a Triumph pre-unit gearbox do the job? Not partial to Triumph, but would like to know what options I have.

I'm sure the answer to that question is in the forums somewhere, just need to dig a bit.

Anyhow, looking forward to the project, and spending some time here.

Rob K

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome, 5280 brother.
I don't know much about brit stuff, but definitely use the search on here.
You can find an amazing amount of knowledge.

skinny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, 5280 brother.
I don't know much about brit stuff, but definitely use the search on here.
You can find an amazing amount of knowledge.

skinny
Thanks.

Yeah - I'm having fun here. Lots of knowledge and a good vibe.

Just picked up a few more parts from a guy in Wheatridge last night. Small stuff; levers, rectifier, pegs and mufflers. At the bottom of the box was a really old, tiny red lens - for an indicator light. It's the little details that make it, and it should be a nice touch

Starting to come together and really enjoying this project.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Come on Rob,
You'll hear this a lot, "lets see some pics"!!
Pics are like a magnet...haha!

skinny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts