Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey andy,

I see you're in Ontario (I'm located in London) and there's a British cycle supply place in Lucan called Walridge Motors (www.walridge.com) who (I'm pretty sure) will mail any parts ordered. I haven't ordered anything from them yet but if you have part numbers, you're good to go. They have parts catalogues too if you don't have the numbers (Walridge is cheaper for the parts book).

There is also PD Restorations in London who deal in British bikes. Good guys and very knowledgeable. (www.pdrestoration.ca)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Andy,

No prob!

Paris eh? Right on...not too far at all. As far as learning about Triumph builds, PD is a good place to go for advice. I've never worked on motorcycles until I decided to make my Dad's old '63 T100SS into a bobber. I'm learning everything as I go! Hopefully I can tap into some of your knowledge and past experience as I work on this thing haha

Back to your fork part question...I've never had my forks apart but will be taking them apart in the next while to attempt to shorten them so my bike rides level. Is it a very tedious operation to rebuild the forks? By that I mean, getting new parts and putting them back together again? Since I have next to no experience, should I be sure to have a bike shop on speed dial for when/if I run into trouble?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Andy,

Right on...kinda sounds like you've got a lot of guess work on your hands. I'm a little luckier in that my bike is a '63 frame and motor (numbers match) but a '69 front end.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on what it cost you to rebuild your forks? I might have to get new fork sleeves (I think that's what you'd call them...at the top with the headlight brackets) because mine are somewhat rusty and pitted. Unless I decide to blast/powder coat them. But as for a fork rebuild, is it pretty pricey?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scottyc25

I think you are referring to the nacelle cover. It just covers the upper fork tubes and holds the headlight? My bike doesnt have that.

I just replaced the fork tubes $90, seals/bushings $47, gaitors $24 and steering neck bearings $44.
Andy,

Yep, those are the parts...couldn't remember the proper name. That's cool though on the cost! I expected a lot more. Since you've got a pre-1971 front end, do you have the stanchions inside as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you mean something other than stanchions (fork tubes). Do you mean shuttle valves? No shuttle valves for me, just restrictors.

Check out Big D Cycles (bigdcycle.com) they have the parts manuals on line, shows everything you need to know. Pretty cool site. Have to thank abfackeln for the info (he put me on them earlier in this thread).
Nope I'm not talking about shuttle valves but I think I have it figured out. My inexperience is shining thru here!! Haha. Ok, I'm calling the fork tube "stanchions" because that's what my Triumph parts manual is calling them. That must be the British term and I didn't realize they are the same thing and here I am confusing everyone who's read this thread! I just sat here staring at the exploded diagram, trying to put everything together in my head and finally realized what's what. Sorry for the confusion!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.