Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just rebuilding my unit forks, 1967 I think. Looking at the parts books I am missing a part. Its the plain washer, part no. H1656 that sits on top of the fork seal? The owner before me was running it without the washer, (the seals where leaking?), is this something I need to have? I have searched around fastener suppliers and bearing suppliers and cant find one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's best to have it, as it's a steel washer that sits between the seal and the spring. I have just completely rebuilt my 67 front end with all new parts including the washers. I now have zero leaks and a better ride, although it still rattles my teeth over the slighest of bumpy surfaces. I bought my parts here: http://www.tri-corengland.com, they will post overseas.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Oru4, I havent been able to locate anyone who sells this part other than shops on England. i checkout out the website you gave me and they do have tham. Seems crazy I have to order two washers from overseas! I might just check with a machine shop about spitting out a couple.

·
Registered
935 Posts
you dont need a machine shop ,start with an oversize one and grab some files

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to check out Big D Cycles down in Texas. I'm in the process of rebuilding a '68 front end... Called them up and they had every washer/bolt/cone/etc. in stock, and shipped very quick. They even have a lot of the old Triumph parts books scanned and available on their site.
And yes, definitely use the washer....

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's best to have it, as it's a steel washer that sits between the seal and the spring. I have just completely rebuilt my 67 front end with all new parts including the washers. I now have zero leaks and a better ride, although it still rattles my teeth over the slighest of bumpy surfaces. I bought my parts here: http://www.tri-corengland.com, they will post overseas.
Can you run a little lighter oil in the forks for a softer ride?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
holy smokes british cycle is up in your neck of the woods!! give them a call super fast too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey andy,

I see you're in Ontario (I'm located in London) and there's a British cycle supply place in Lucan called Walridge Motors (www.walridge.com) who (I'm pretty sure) will mail any parts ordered. I haven't ordered anything from them yet but if you have part numbers, you're good to go. They have parts catalogues too if you don't have the numbers (Walridge is cheaper for the parts book).

There is also PD Restorations in London who deal in British bikes. Good guys and very knowledgeable. (www.pdrestoration.ca)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey andy,

I see you're in Ontario (I'm located in London) and there's a British cycle supply place in Lucan called Walridge Motors (www.walridge.com) who (I'm pretty sure) will mail any parts ordered. I haven't ordered anything from them yet but if you have part numbers, you're good to go. They have parts catalogues too if you don't have the numbers (Walridge is cheaper for the parts book).

There is also PD Restorations in London who deal in British bikes. Good guys and very knowledgeable. (www.pdrestoration.ca)
Thanks Scottyc25
I have emailed Walridge the part number and am waiting to hear back. I have bought parts from them before. I am right down the road from you in Paris. Sold my twinkie and bought a 60's triump chop, big learning curve.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey andy,

Scottyc25
Just had an email from Bonnie at Walridge, they have them in stock and are going on the truck today! Never thought I would be so stoked about two washers. Will have a roller this weekend!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Andy,

No prob!

Paris eh? Right on...not too far at all. As far as learning about Triumph builds, PD is a good place to go for advice. I've never worked on motorcycles until I decided to make my Dad's old '63 T100SS into a bobber. I'm learning everything as I go! Hopefully I can tap into some of your knowledge and past experience as I work on this thing haha

Back to your fork part question...I've never had my forks apart but will be taking them apart in the next while to attempt to shorten them so my bike rides level. Is it a very tedious operation to rebuild the forks? By that I mean, getting new parts and putting them back together again? Since I have next to no experience, should I be sure to have a bike shop on speed dial for when/if I run into trouble?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andy,

No prob!

Paris eh? Right on...not too far at all. As far as learning about Triumph builds, PD is a good place to go for advice. I've never worked on motorcycles until I decided to make my Dad's old '63 T100SS into a bobber. I'm learning everything as I go! Hopefully I can tap into some of your knowledge and past experience as I work on this thing haha

Back to your fork part question...I've never had my forks apart but will be taking them apart in the next while to attempt to shorten them so my bike rides level. Is it a very tedious operation to rebuild the forks? By that I mean, getting new parts and putting them back together again? Since I have next to no experience, should I be sure to have a bike shop on speed dial for when/if I run into trouble?
This is my first crack at it and it actually seemed pretty easy. I didnt need any special tools. The only tough part is figuring out what I had and what I was missing. It seems my bike is a bit of a frankenstein, 63 motor, 67? frame, 67 front end, 68 wheel, and 50 years worth of people screwing with it (me included).

The biggest help is this site, and finding online parts books. I used Lowbrow for new fork tubes, bushings and seals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts