Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been periodically reading the forum for several years, but being somewhat of a (brace yourselves) purist when it comes to my old Brit iron, I have mainly done (brace again) stock rebuilds. My philosophy has always been, if it's somewhat rare and somewhat complete, then preserve it's history. I have a 66 UK market Bonnie (the one with the bigger red and white tank, painted fenders and standard ped slicer up front) which is just about complete. I built it with the intention of long distance riding so while it looks stock, the motor has every practical upgrade to make it more reliable and as leak free as possible. Sealed high output 12v alternator, electronic ignition, new Amal Monoblocs, belt drive, redesigned tappett blocks and push rod tubes (that don't leak) dry clutch, modified final drive sprockets to run o-ring chain to eliminate the need for oiling, crank breather, new oil pump, valve job, bore job sludge trap cleaned yadadadadada..... I plan on riding this thing all over this summer and across country within the next year. I also have a 65 t120c street scrambler that is on my bench as well. Too rare to customize, but I'm keeping it somewhat "as is" until I decide to restore it or sell it. Besides those I have a ton of other bikes and projects.

I recently decided to try something different (for me) and build a Tribsa bobber out of pieces I found out of my own garage. I took a badly bent BSA a10 frame, had it straitened out, chopped a bunch of useless crap from it, added a David bird hard tail, 4 inch stretch and 2 inch drop (has the curved loop in rear like the old triumph flat trackers). I'm fitting a 58 triumph T110 engine to a standard BSA gearbox, lowering the forks a bit to accommodate a 21 inch tiger cub front wheel, and a 19 inch standard triumph rear wheel. I have a cool old Wassell tank, an old leather solo seat and the rest will just come from swap meets as i see fit. I'm new to welding, so I had the hard tail welded by a pro, but I plan on welding the seat bungs, cosmetic stuff and less life threatening stuff myself. Got a ways to go, but I'm sure I'll be looking for advice and help from you guys. I'll post some pictures soon (I don't have internet in my shop, so I'm confined to the limitations of my iPad.

Anyway I'm from west Chester pa, just outside Philly - so yeah, that's my introduction.

Matt smith

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ha ha not my birth name,cabinet maker by trade. Someone once said to me you think your a cabinet God or what and i said no im cabinet jesus,kinda stuck. the Gambino thread is one of my favorites to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, gotcha! Funny how nicknames come about. I have an old friend who's known as squirrel. He lives out west but was home visiting at thanksgiving and my friend, who met him a long tine ago went up and said "Beaver, right?" ha. Anyway, thanks for welcoming me.

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

frame and david Bird hardtail mocked up. The frame is now straight and tail section has been tacked up. I need to fit the Transmission and make a few changes to the mounts to fit the 58 T110 triumph motor. I have a 21 in front wheel with a tiger cub brake for the front and a standard unit Triumph 19" rear wheel. I'll take more pics of all the parts this week. This is still in the infancy stage.

my 51 speed twin. The bike runs, but I am going to do a complete rebuild this winter to get it running well. Need to start with a clean sludge trap and rebuild the mag, do a top end job etc....

my 62 Norton Atlas. I'm probably going to sell this at some point as I'm building a hot rodded TriTon. Strong runner though....

My 65 T120C Street Scrambler. This bike is just getting the final touches. will be finished very soon.

when i rebuilt the front end on the 65 T120c the original spacers did not fit into the aftermarket fork seal holders. took a few thousandths of an inch off the edges and they dropped right in!

my 66 Triumph T120 (uk spec - not American) rebuilt to ride hard. Belt drive, rebuilt trans, new big end bearings, new oil pump, crank breather, new high output 12v alternator, .20 over pistons, valve job by Jack Simmons, electronic ignition etc... want to ride this one across country. Waiting on tank and fenders from the painter. Stock look (gasp, I know, but too rare of a bike stateside - had to preserve it's legacy)

rebuilt the wheels on 66 t120. true to .03" - better than factory.

My 61 T20 Cub scrambler. My dad built this bike from swap meet finds. Its a replica of the second bike he ever owned. He rode one just like this one from Philly to Ft Lauderdale in the early 60's. 200 single, thats either total balls out or completely foolish - probably a bit of both, but he did it. He gave me this bike just before he died. i will never change it or sell it (will rebuild the motor though, but it will never change in looks.) It's the only bike out of his collection that wasnt sold off to pay for his extensive medical bills.

I have several basket cases, including an M20 up on my bench, a triton (62 bonnie motor, slimline featherbed and water buffalo front brake - future build) as well as a few early unit 500 triumphs and a handful of motors and frames. Just learning to weld, so I'm sure I'll be doing some more out-of-the-box type building in the coming year.

matt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome.....haven't been here long, but one of the best intro's I've read. Quite a collection you've got, nothing wrong with keeping a bike stock. I agree, keep the 61 T20 because of it's history.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts