Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO OUT OF THE BLUE A GUY CALLS ME AND SAYS HE "HERD" I HAVE A PAN HEAD AND HE LOOKING FOR 1. SAID HE WANTS DIRECTIONS TO MY HOUSE SO HE CAN LOOK AT IT ! BEING LEARY AS I AM I TOLD HIM TO SHOW HIS SINCERITY SINCE HE WAS GOING TO SEE MY SCOOTER I WANTED TO SEE THE 25k I,AM ASKING FOR IT. HE SAID MONEY ISNT NO PROBLEM AND AGREED SO I GAVE HIM DIRECTIONS TO A POPULAR GAS STATION FAIRLY CLOSE TO MY HOUSE. SO AT ARRANGED TIME HE SHOWS UP AND WANT TO GO STRAIGHT AND SEE MY SCOOTER. I SAID LETS SEE THE $ AND HE SHOWED ME ABOUT $1000.00....... I SAID THAT WONT DO AND SUGGESTED HE MAKE ANOTHER APPOINTMENT AT A LATER DATE WHEN HE LISTENED CORRECTLY TO MY 25k IDEA. WELL HE STARTED TO GET BERLIGERANT SO I OPENED MY COAT AND SHOWED HIM MR. COLT 1911. THEN HE GOT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT LOOK ON THINGS AND MADE AN EXCUSE TO LEAVE. LOOK OUT FELLAS AS TIMES ARE REAL BAD AND SCOOTER THIEVES ARE GETTING MORE BOLDEN.

P/S HE NEVER GOT CLOSE TO MY SCOOTER...........

BOB

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey, you did the right thing, except I would have wanted to know where he "heard" about my scooter. I don't let anybody into my place. If I sell anything locally, I have them meet me at my rented storage, I let them in (its an electronic controlled gate, with combo)to the compound and they don't know what locker is mine. The part will be in the back of my truck. Or in the case of a bike it will be parked. They can't get out unless I open the gate to let them go. And my legal team of Smith and Wesson are their with me. Its sad to have such a jaded view of our fellow citizens, but thats just the way the world is. And nobody brings a "buddy" that I don't know to my place. And my friends know better than to come over un-announced. I know too many guys that have been burned by their kids friends (meth) ripping them off. Sucks.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The world is getting crazier all the time. Every group of people have their bad ones. It used to be that the bikers were not trusted. But now, the politicians have taken our place, and we have become trusted builders and riders. Go figure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how did he get your phone no.???? last time i checked my scoot was not listed in the phone book. maybe a "friend" gave it to him??? well he's not a friend!!! no matter how good you may think he/she is. time to start kicking so ass!!! stay paranoid my friend.

if you think someone is following you it's called paranoia...but if you catch them it's called "good thinking"

·
Registered
78 Posts
good action to prevent problems.
I always ask em,who sent them? how did they hear about .....?
Always check the phone number they call from etc
And a legal team is not just a good idea ,its the law

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
It's getting worse overhere in Europe also..

Used parts (in the trunk) are always handled as a so called "parking deal".. (parking lot of a local bar)
Never at my place..

If I have a bike for sale I always park it at my cousin or sister's place for the appointment..
Never at my place..

It's not a bad idea to have a buddy sitting in his car and watch the deal from a distance.. if the so called buyer pulls a .45 and force you to sign your pink slip and a bill of sale.. then you'll be glad that your buddy is watching your back..

(^^ It happened around Paris many times..)

If a car/truck parks close to my garage (doesn't happen very often, because it's kinda hidden away) I always write down the license plate.. just in case something happens in the following days/weeks..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not paranoid about this..it's just safer to be prepared..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would've done the same.I'm also careful when I go to look or buy.The so called owner is gonna assume I have cash on me.I love to haggle,but don't really care for the exchanges anymore.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I bought a truck once, only $1000 bucks, real hoodlum looking dude in a shitty neighborhood. Guy says as I'm handing him the cash,"I remember back when I would have stabbed someone in the neck for that and kept the truck." That's why my 6'-4" buddy was with me, and packing.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I agree partially with you guys but the flipside to this , you want me to hand of say 20 k meet you in a parking lot you give me a bike and a title .What happens in a day from now when the motor blows , or a wheel falls off or what ever , I only have a phone number for recourse . Ya we all know how well that works , if you wont meet me at your garage , shop , house Or a local shop to do the deal . I wont buy from you . Sounds like the op did the right thing , Meeting before goin to the bike is smart .But to all the guys that wont meet at there place are just a little paranoid.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In the world of Craigslist and so-called friends-it's nice to hear these stories to show me that I'm not the paranoid freak that keeps my hammer collection in various parts of the garage and just inside the front door of my house-one of these days I'll have to get me one of those bullet shooting things to ward off the real scum. I've had my worries come back to me in rumors from many different sources-luckily I must just be around to much.

I don't let anyone near my house for deals that don't include my house.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I know 2 guys who have been robbed off C/L, answering ads that are to good to be true. One went to buy a 99 FL classic for $2300.00 , met the guy in a parking lot, while waiting, 2 guys pulled up in a van & robbed him at gun point....
I buy & sell daily on CL, & its pretty easy to tell who your dealing with from the answers you get. I ALWAYS have the people call me from a land line/ home phone, meet in a public place,,& i never go anywhere without a .357 on my person. & Most importantly, i make shure the person sees me put in in my waisteband. This solves a lot of problems before they start.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Also have them meet you at the nearest police station....they can check the guys info to make sure he is up and up.....if he is not...$50 says he won't show

·
Registered
317 Posts
My friend does a lot of buying and selling of things, mostly electronic audio stuff. He always meets the potential buyer at a gas station or somewhere public, and I always go with, and we are BOTH packin.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree partially with you guys but the flipside to this , you want me to hand of say 20 k meet you in a parking lot you give me a bike and a title .What happens in a day from now when the motor blows , or a wheel falls off or what ever , I only have a phone number for recourse . Ya we all know how well that works , if you wont meet me at your garage , shop , house Or a local shop to do the deal . I wont buy from you . Sounds like the op did the right thing , Meeting before goin to the bike is smart .But to all the guys that wont meet at there place are just a little paranoid.
For 20k, it's assumed it's running and titled. In that case the previous owners info is on the title. It's never happened to me, but if I sold you a bike or car and 2 days later it blows up, it's not my problem. It's used, therefore no warranty. That said, I only sell quality parts and bikes andif its not, it's stressed to the buyer, Truthful communication is the key to hassle free transactions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.