Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the easiest way to get my new neck cups to sit in the neck straight? i was planning on using a rubber mallet and a peice of scrapwood.
this is on a '74 ironhead and im putting the timken cup set in.
ALSO how the hell can i get the old race outta the lower tree?
I live in an apartment and don't have any fancy tools, just yer typical wrenches and hammer shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I haven't done it on a motorcycle, but i used to do it with bicycles.

Get yourself a long piece of threaded rod, (well, long enough to go through the neck), with a couple of nuts to match. Also, some large washers, (a couple on each end) or a piece of flat stock with holes big enough for the rod to go through, on each end. Position the cups, run the rod through the neck, put on washers or flat stock, put on nuts, and slowly crank em down on both ends with a wrench and a socket until the cups are seated.
Viola!
5 bucks spent at the hardware store and they should go in straight. Hammering isn't the best idea, but i've known people who've done it with mixed results..hahaha.
Not sure about getting the race out of the trees though...

rukwikenuf said:
what is the easiest way to get my new neck cups to sit in the neck straight? i was planning on using a rubber mallet and a peice of scrapwood.
this is on a '74 ironhead and im putting the timken cup set in.
ALSO how the hell can i get the old race outta the lower tree?
I live in an apartment and don't have any fancy tools, just yer typical wrenches and hammer shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a damn good idea, why waste cash on special tools when ya can make em for CHEAP!?!
well, any suggestions on how to get the OLD neck cups out? been hittin a screwdriver with a hammer from the inside and have gotten NOWHERE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Hi,Ryno has the right idea on the bearing cup install.While your at the hardware store put the neck races in the freezer and the frame out in the sun.the shrinkage on the races combined with the expansion of the frame will help.A little grease around the pocket wouldn't hurt either.As far as removing the bearing race from the tree bottom,same deal.Put the tree in the freezer.After it's frozen, heat the race with a torch and try to get a pry bar behind it.It might take a couple of trys but you'll get the race off.Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i think i can tackle this with some confidence now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
rukwikenuf said:
what is the easiest way to get my new neck cups to sit in the neck straight? i was planning on using a rubber mallet and a peice of scrapwood.
this is on a '74 ironhead and im putting the timken cup set in.
ALSO how the hell can i get the old race outta the lower tree?
I live in an apartment and don't have any fancy tools, just yer typical wrenches and hammer shit.
For starters you get yourself a big mo fo drift and you drive out the bottom cup...I don't buy this freeze this shit put this shit out in the sun, you are using timken cups so you get yourself a big f'n hammer that fits just nice in the bottom of the cup and hit it with another big f'n hammer about 4 or 5 times done deal...that threaded rod shit don't work either 9 out of 10 times the dam cups don't draw straight down in the neck and bind...with a BMFH you can direct your blows accordingly on the bottom of the neck cup to correct alignment...I been using this method since I been building bikes and probably quite a few others...later Chaz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
haha!
Like i said, i've seen the hammer trick work more than once.
BMFH...haha

Chopper Chaz said:
For starters you get yourself a big mo fo drift and you drive out the bottom cup...I don't buy this freeze this shit put this shit out in the sun, you are using timken cups so you get yourself a big f'n hammer that fits just nice in the bottom of the cup and hit it with another big f'n hammer about 4 or 5 times done deal...that threaded rod shit don't work either 9 out of 10 times the dam cups don't draw straight down in the neck and bind...with a BMFH you can direct your blows accordingly on the bottom of the neck cup to correct alignment...I been using this method since I been building bikes and probably quite a few others...later Chaz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Ryno said:
haha!
Like i said, i've seen the hammer trick work more than once.
BMFH...haha
Heh Heh...never under estimate a BMFH...LOL..
 

·
Tiny Member
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
I've done the BFH and the washers and allthread trick, but by far the best way to do this is w/ a press. Perfect results every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i did the BFH and threaded rod trick
i don't have a press, hell, i dont have much more than yer run-of-the-mill hand tools. i'm building my chop on the patio outside my apartment..........i need a garage, maybe with a house attached to it......
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top