Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new to this board and the world of vintage bikes. I recently picked up a 68' Triumph T120 motor and a frame that the previous owner said was from a 69'.

My confusion comes from trying to decode the numbers that I found on the neck of the frame. On the side of the neck in raised lettering is F7xxx. Located on the front of the neck is a sticker with a bar code and the number 3xxxx-xx xxxxx printed below.

Am I correct in assuming that this is an aftermarket frame? And what does this all mean for registering the bike once it is finished? I'm assuming that it is important for me to keep the barcoded sticker intact.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Frank, Welcome, but first things first !!!! They told me when i got here to start at the top !!!,,, Introduce Your self .... At the top of the page it says ," NEW TO THE BOARD? " Thanks & Welcome

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Raised numbers sounds like factory, but a "casting number" to ID a part, not a VIN.

A sticker & barcode is useless without paperwork that came with it. As in "State-assigned" number. Call that state.

Which raises the question, what became of the factory-stamped frame number and title....you dont have a paper trail, it likely aint worth messing with.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
that is a Triumph frame with some heavy modifications here and there. the frame number was on the left side of the neck down tube when it came from the factory, looking at the steering lock location and side stand lug I would say 1965 or 66,
The bar code is some kind of shipping label.

·
Registered
288 Posts
never seen a bar code for a frame vin number before. looks like the one i have on my forehead. i get scanned all the time and i'm starting to not like it.:mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I suppose that I'll have to figure out how to proceed from here when it comes to eventually registering bike. I guess I should have paid more attention to this when I picked up the frame...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Have you simply looked underneath all that Bondo bullshit? As much as that thing is mudded I wouldn't be suprised if the numbers are there. Of course you're in New York, and apparently don't have a title, so looking for the numbers is just another form of self torture. AFAIK, New Yawk is one of those states where you NEED legit paperwork.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point... and I should have thought of this working part-time in a body shop. I'll have to clean up the neck and see if there are any hidden treasures to be found.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hillbillyhell, thanks again for the suggestion. I finally got around to sanding down the primer and found my numbers. Now my next step is registering the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts