Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have a pan with 62 mod engine. I was going to change the point and condensor. Former owner have put a auto advance timing for 1970 and newer in a distributor house from early pan house and single point.
I can`t find an old thread aboat auto advance timing for panhead. Someone wrote that you can`t use newer adv weights on panhead.
Cant find why?.:confused:

·
Banned
700 Posts
High-Voltage!

I cannot help with a link to a thread, but...
I can warn you that Americans have worse English than most:
H-D NEVER used a "distributor".
That is a bar room euphemism.

You most likely have an aftermarket timer, with later advance cam, weights, and springs.
Although not optimized for performance, it should service fine upon the street, if timed with a strobe light to your front cylinder timing mark.

The curve of advance will be slightly different, but of little harmful consequence, if all other things are in order.

....Cotten

·
Registered
552 Posts
You heard right…the advance unit from a 70 and later ignition opens counter clockwise , the earlier 65-69 “distributors” advance clockwise. They look the same …but.
If you have an aftermarket setup and are missing the advance weights you need the 65-69 type.
I think this is what you were asking? Lykke til

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hi, have a pan with 62 mod engine. I was going to change the point and condensor. Former owner have put a auto advance timing for 1970 and newer in a distributor house from early pan house and single point.
I can`t find an old thread aboat auto advance timing for panhead. Someone wrote that you can`t use newer adv weights on panhead.
Cant find why?.:confused:
69 and earlier rotate in the opposite direction of 70+. So, advance becomes retard, and vice versa if you mix the two. The only exception that I know of is the S&S unit w/ diff gears that changes the 69+earlier rotation to that of the later model.

All of the "weights" I've held in my hand appear to be reversible; i.e. used on 65-69auto advance timers or 70+ advance units. It's the base plates that differ. They DO NOT LOOK the same: the posts for weights are on opposite sides.

The advance unit itself will advance in opposite directions on a 70+ unit as compared to an earlier one, so they are no interchangable. Stock 65-69 auto advance timers do not have a unit that is interchangable or at least that looks remotely similar. So, aftermarket timers with stock rotation that accept 70+ "style" advance units typically have a replacement advance unit in any of the major catalogs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for good info. I had a trip on 700km this weekend,when the coil broke down Inn a tunnel. Just 1 hour from home. The last long trip this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts