Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to riding today and after 10 min realized I had gas leaking from my accelerator pump (Bendix on 81 shov) down onto the engine and exhaust. Not good... My question is, do I replace my accelerator pump or could this be a float issue? FYI,,I recently put a new fuel line in (5/16), is that too much and is dumping to much gas into the bowl and then out the pump? A little insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
its probably not the floats, If it were it would be flooding and running rich.........accellerator pumps are not too exspensive I don't think. Your 5/16 fuel line is good.

Dustin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the carb is the least of my problems now. Swaped fuel lines and accelerator pump and while testing her out the oil light went on and the engine started clicking really loud. I recently replaced a cam cover.(Very few miles since switch like less than 20) I dont think that would have anything to do with the noise unless I somehow blocked oil flow and that led to bad things. I think my timing was good. At least it was running good. How long would it take to mess up the engine if the timing was off?

·
Registered
584 Posts
First check to see if the pump is working. Loosen the line to the rockers, spin the bike over (pull the plugs so it spins faster ) Do you get oil flow?? If you don't get oil flow, debris from the cam cover (chrome flakes, bits of old gasket or sealer, ect) may have got into the return side of the pump, jammed in the gears and sheared of the key for the drive gear or supply side gear. Hows your oil level and how old is your oil? How hot did the bike get? If the timing is off it will cause the bike to run hot. The hotter it gets the thinner the oil gets and the lower the oil pressure. Being just one quart low will result in the oil getting hotter also. Hydralic lifters are the first warning sign that things are getting dangerous. The engine will survive some lifter ratteling but the rattle is usually followed by the screaching of the rings and rocker shafts due to lack of oil and thats a Really Bad thing. Sounds like your ok so far.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Often times, if you spin a Shovel over with out the plugs in be prepared for starter "runon". That is when the starter continues to spin/turn even after you kill the power to the switch. Just to be safe I'd visegrip the negative cable down so you can easily disconnect battery power if this happens. TK.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys,
I'll check for oil flow.
After replacing the cam cover I changed oil in the tank only (no new filter). I have a horseshoe oil tank so i dumped in 3 quarts. I dont have any temp gauges on the engine so I dont know what the temp is but it does seem hotter than before. Even the air filter cover was hot yesterday. If Im reading Pony right the timing (Compufire Elite 1) is off, running the engine hotter, thinning the oil and if oil pump is plugged that would be my lifters knocking?

·
Registered
669 Posts
DougC said:
Went to riding today and after 10 min realized I had gas leaking from my accelerator pump (Bendix on 81 shov) down onto the engine and exhaust. Not good... My question is, do I replace my accelerator pump or could this be a float issue? FYI,,I recently put a new fuel line in (5/16), is that too much and is dumping to much gas into the bowl and then out the pump? A little insight would be much appreciated.
It's likely the pump. Gas shouldn't leak past the seal. Kit comes with the rod, plunger sea,l and boot. I just replaced one in my shovel, except it's on a Super B with Superbowl kit (uses a Bendix accelerator pump). Mine was squirting gas out the side when I opened the throttle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Threadkiller said:
Often times, if you spin a Shovel over with out the plugs in be prepared for starter "runon". That is when the starter continues to spin/turn even after you kill the power to the switch. Just to be safe I'd visegrip the negative cable down so you can easily disconnect battery power if this happens. TK.
That used to happen to me even WITH the plugs in. A previous owner installed a "fuse" inline on the battery cable. I say "fuse" because it was a fuse holder/fuse shell from an amp board with a metal blade jb welded in it. You could pull it in and out like so he said it was a theft deterent because if you pulled the fuse out you couldnt start the bike. When i first got the bike it would run on like you discribed so i replaced the starter cylinoid and that fixed the problem. Maybe i should re-install that thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One more thing you might check is the pump check valve, take the float bowl
off and shake it you should hear a rattle from the ball if there is no sound
shoot some brake kleen thru the pick up line, you can can see it running under the bowl, if the bike sets for awhile with gas in the carb it could gum up, The valve keeps the fuel from being pushed back into the float bowl, instead of the pump nozzle when the plunger is activated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts