Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you know my bike (black trump with gold scallops) and youve seen the tank. some of you also know that it had a crack in it & gas seeped through & ruined the paint so i had a friend weld up the crack & my other friend repainted the tank ( i gave him $200 the 1st time & $100 the second time ). The paint on the tank was perfect this time.... until sunday. when i got back from the asbury lanes show the paint was fine. sunday when i got up & looked at it - it was cracked in same spot as it did last time & gas was seeping out of the paint! WTF!!!!!?

the dude who welded it did not do it correctly & i need someone in the area who is VERY GOOD at welding tanks to help me out. does anyone know someon in the jersey, philly area who can help me out? id like a quick turn around since the bike is finally dialed in & ive been riding the hell out of it. plus, i need to give my friend time to paint it AGAIN.

fuck me.....who knew that the most trouble id be having with the bike is with the one thing with no moving parts - the fucking gas tank!?

as always, any help would be much appriciated. thanks!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
caffeine said:
did you have it pressure tested? do you trust the welder? vibrations?
he said he pressure tested it.

no i dont trust the welder.

yes, lots & lots of vibrations. the vibes like to crack all sorts of random parts, i would also think they could crack a shitty weld on a gas tank.

Tony Bones said:
What Caffeine said, plus, did you have it sealed at a radiator shop?
i didnt have it sealed. everything i heard about tank sealers has been bad news. mainly about shit like Kreem & similar products. does a rad shop use a different method?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Educate me...

What do you all mean when you say get it sealed at a radiator shop?

I am going to hack up a tank and put a new tunnel in it some time in the near future, and this sounds like something I should know about.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
hogtownhd said:
Educate me...

What do you all mean when you say get it sealed at a radiator shop?

I am going to hack up a tank and put a new tunnel in it some time in the near future, and this sounds like something I should know about.

Thanks.
There is a sealer that can be poured into a tank to seal any pinholes in the welds. I have no idea what kind of material it is. It is impervious to gas and works well. Make sure you are done welding and working the tank before the sealer. It helps to put a sealer on it too otherwise it will have surface rust on it when it comes back. I did a tank on old lincoln that was badly pitted. The guy guaranteed it not to leak for two years! This is an excellent insurance policy. Eastwood sells a do it yourself kit for the adventurous guys. I figured that at about $60 to do a sporty tank, I'd leave it to a pro and get the guarantee. Anyone in the Jersey area need it done or need good radiator work let me know and I'll hook you up. MIKE.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently tried to weld a friends tank using a mig and fucked it up real nice. I manged to fill the holes I burned into it, but it still leaked. I did not know at the time a mig welder on a 40 year old tank is no bueno. He ended up taking it to a professional.

I had my own tank acid washed and resealed at a radiator shop and it came out tits. The shop was also doing some brand new tanks for a Harley shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts