Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my tranny/kicker.....

When I'm kicking on my bike (1976 4 speed, 1983 Shovel), every 4th or 5th kick, the kicker slips. It is NOT a good feeling..... Feels like something is breaking.

I don't know what the internals look like, but I'm picturing a broken tooth or something..... Putting all 200 lbs. of my weight on the kicker, then having it drop like a foot hurts my knee like a mofo!!

Do ya'll know if this is common? Is there an easy fix? I seriously tweaked out my knee because of this slippage issue, and I'm anxious to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Ben

·
Registered
568 Posts
Look into it quick and fix it.

I now have a neat-o torn ACL from the Thursday night before the S.0. . because my kicker decided not to engage.

Tech Cycle is coming too my rescue untill I can get my knee healthy again.:eek:

·
Registered
896 Posts
chicagogreaser said:
Look into it quick and fix it.

I now have a neat-o torn ACL from the Thursday night before the S.0. . because my kicker decided not to engage.
That sucks man. Nothing says hardcore like a limp though. I heard a couple of "bros" at starbucks talking about who's thumb had the bigger cauluse.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Take the kicker cover off (on the side your oil fill plug is) You probably need new bushings on the kicker clutch gear which goes inside that cover. Sometimes depending on where you get parts, it's cheaper to buy a new gear with a bushing already installed. When you have the cover off, you'll see what I'm talking about. and now that the cover is off, it's a good time to replace the rubber o-rig thingy that sits in the center of the kick arm shaft. Don't feel bad, my brother in law just blew the tranny on one of my shovels and parked it in a lot in Fargo, lost it, and we just recovered it. Now to see what the hell is wrong with the transmission. At least my knee is working though....

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
I have been there before and it sucks. Its probably something real simple: the bushing like Creepinogie said or a broken tooth. In my case it was a combination of the spring being weak and the bushing getting shity/sticky, this caused the gears not to reseat between kicks. I was going to cleanup the bushing and re-stretch the spring but opted to replace it with the kit...cheap insurance and your knee will thank you. hell, you should be able to claim this through your health insurance as "preventive medicine"

I'm not a big fan of JP, if you have a local inependent shop they should have it but if your in a pinch you can get it here:
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=CCBD94A6-2AEB-4EAB-B5D6-253EC7EB2A2B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts