Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way of going at this? I received my new bushings for the stock risers, however, the outer ring of the old bushings is still there and I had no luck moving them with a drift. I have tried several things so far on this build without asking first that have cost me some money so I thought I might see if anyone has a helpful tip first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
show a picture Im not sure what youre asking about ,the outer ring part confuses me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definately do that when I get home Wednesday. The bushings for the risers contan an inner and outer bush and are seperated By a rubber membrane. It keeps everything tight and isolates the risers from vibration. I apologize for my piss poor description in my origional request for help. I think of these things when I am driving and pull over ask them while it's fresh in my head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about a Triumph. They are called bonded bushings and there is a toll to remove them. You need the same tool to put the new ones in. Here is a link to at least one source for the tool, http://mcctriumph.com/TOOLS.aspx.
You could probably fabricate one for your self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya that looks exactly like the tool I need. I am sure I could beat them out with something as simple as a socket, but, I want the new ones to go back in correctly so I will get the tool. By the time I am done I will have spent about $130 on stock risers for a bobber. I should have just bought a nice set of aftermarkets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
I banged the old ones out with a socket and knocked new ones in with a hammer. Some one may have a better way but thats what i did,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got them both out with a 13mm deep socket. One was a little tougher than the other, but, it worked out in the end and I only smashed my thumb once with the mallet. That's better than most days. I tapped the new ones back in with a mallet as suggested bove and they went in pretty smoothly with no damage to the new bushings. Thanks for the help. Now I only have 65 more things to do and I will be ready for paint.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top