Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove a narrow glide front end and I have everything removed and I can't get the front end to slide out of the bearings. This is a 77 FX and I had the top nut on and tried to hit it with a 2x4 on top of it with a brass hammer. I don't want to do any damage so I need advice.
Is there a trick if they are stuck or what?

Thanks for any help, Bill:eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fork is together, I'll try the deadblow first, then heat if needed. I wonder if this was ever off before, sure is in nice shape.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The reason I said (in a previous post) to remove the fork leg assemblies from the lower tree is that their hanging weight can induce an eccentric load on the stem which can cause it to bind in the bearing bores.

Bob

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
When top tree and fork legs are removed, turn an old used stem nut back on top of the stem..deep enough.. then hit the top of that nut with a "heavy" hammer.. (the nut will prevent damaging the thread of course)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, it came loose with a fair amount of persuasion. Thanks for the help, I know it was a straightforward procedure but it helps to get some thoughts so you don't wreck something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i always put a small amount of anti-seize on the taper of the fork tube upon re-assembly to prevent the fork tubes from sticking to the top tree, will help you next time..or someone years later will thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts