Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

The only thing holding me up from fireing and rideing my chopper is the oil lines, so here is where im at. I have a Harley oil tank that has two studs (9/16-24) for the return and vent lines to run to. I have a shovel in a harley hardtail frame. I bought the poughco shotgun pipe (the smash pipe version), rear pipe comes off the head fine and have it mounted correct. I got the hard oil line kit from v-twin and the top bend in both line are two big, I have tryed to trim them down as much as i can but are still touching the pipe. Then I bought the little stuby oil line kit out of v-twin hopeful they would work. But they are still two big of a bend at the top.

I'm trying to find anything that in can get to give me a 90 down. Did not know if anyone else has ran into this problem or if it just me messing it up.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kory

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Hey,

The only thing holding me up from fireing and rideing my chopper is the oil lines, so here is where im at. I have a Harley oil tank that has two studs (9/16-24) for the return and vent lines to run to. I have a shovel in a harley hardtail frame. I bought the poughco shotgun pipe (the smash pipe version), rear pipe comes off the head fine and have it mounted correct. I got the hard oil line kit from v-twin and the top bend in both line are two big, I have tryed to trim them down as much as i can but are still touching the pipe. Then I bought the little stuby oil line kit out of v-twin hopeful they would work. But they are still two big of a bend at the top.

I'm trying to find anything that in can get to give me a 90 down. Did not know if anyone else has ran into this problem or if it just me messing it up.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kory
I had the same problem with a set of paughco pipes. The rear pipe would not allow me to use the stock oil lines or any of the ones you mentioned, I tried them all. Paughco mentions that their pipes fit stock frames, but there is no way they'll fit with a stock oil tank. What I did was to have the pipe cut and moved away from the oil lines. This allowed me to use the stock oil lines and still have some distance between the pipe and the lines. Here is my setup: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88648

Just figured I'd mention my situation as I'm not sure if you thought to modify the pipe? It worked for me and looks fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the 90 degree kit from V-Twin.They came out from the far enough that they would hit the pipe.I just bent mine in a vise so they bend toward the oil tank,similar to HD48's setup,except I'm using rubber lines.Also,some oil tanks have removable studs.In that case you could replace them with small 90 fittings with a barbed end.They look pretty sharp end your hose ain't coming off those barbs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I will try to bend the lines in a vise. I was just worried about creaseing it. I sat in menards looking at fitting for hour trying to see if i could make something work, But no luck. I wouldnt have problem using rubber hose, I just need to get the threads pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have the catalog in front of me but they might have ones in the v-twin book that are already in a 45 bend.Check it out first if you're worried about wrecking the line.You could also use a bender.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
I guess I will try to bend the lines in a vise. I was just worried about creaseing it. I sat in menards looking at fitting for hour trying to see if i could make something work, But no luck. I wouldnt have problem using rubber hose, I just need to get the threads pointed in the right direction.
I originally played with the with the bends in my lines and used sand so they wouldn't kink. It worked well for the most part. I was able to move them with my hands for the little bit that I needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts