Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone, total newbie here when it comes to older HD's although I've wrenched on other more modern Jap bikes so I'm somewhat mechanically savy.

Anyway, I recently picked up a '80 FXWG. Engine and tranny seem stock from the research I've done. Ever since I bought it I've had to use the electric start because the kicker isn't working. The bike seems to shift fine so I think the problem is isolated to the kicker alone and not a bigger problem with the rest of the tranny. It feels like the kicker is totally disconnected from the rest of the tranny assembly. When I rotate the kicker arm, there is no resistance except for the return spring (external). It's not turning the engine over at all.

So this weekend I'm going to drain the tranny fluid and take the kicker cover off to see if I can get to the bottom of this. But can anyone provide me with some ideas on what they think the likely culprit is or what I should be looking for once I get the cover off? If anyone's got any photos of what it looks like in there that'd be useful.

Again, sorry for the newbie questions. We all gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
I may be waaaaaay off. My vote is no gear on the shaft.

I dont remember when they went electric start only...

Is it a cowpie trans? I think it was that year.

Dont pay attention to me. There are others here who will know for sure.

Pictures always help.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
One of the best investments you can make at this time is to buy a service manual for your bike. The genuine HD book is the best, better than Clymer or Haynes. You can get them at the dealership, but they're probably up around $75 by now. Often, you can find a gently used one on eBay for a lot less. Sometimes you can find the PDF online somewhere, but there's nothing like a paper copy you can hold in your hand.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bet the kicker side case bushing is very worn and this has caused the kicker gear nut to loosen or come off. Time to pull the side case off and give it a look see. No big deal its a simple inspection. If case bushing is worn excessivily you,ll need to replace the side case or as i did gut it,remove whats left of bushings, measure i.d. Of case (bet it will be out of round) then take it to machine shop and have it bored out true, make new 1 piece oil impregnated bronze bushing, press it into case then hone it to fit the kicker shaft. If kicker shaft is worn or where gear goes on is worn you,ll need a new kicker arm/shaft assy & possibly a gear.
Bob

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
May be the kick gear key on the ratchet gears. You will need a puller to get it off. Specialty pullers are available, but you can use a bearing seperator and a "T" puller. Also, check the ramped gear teeth on the ratchet. If they are not pristine, it is time for new kick gear set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so a little update..........after pulling the kicker cover off today I think the problem is obvious. Although the bike only had 18k miles on it when I picked it up the other day, it appears as though the previous owner tinkered around with the bike at some point and really hated the idea of a kicker. Seems that I'm missing parts 4-8 in the diagram; the starter clutch, key, starter clutch gear and bushing, and the spring that goes with it. I do have the pushrod assembly though, I just removed it before taking the picture for clarity.

Sound like a plan to everyone else? Is there anything else I'm missing or should do while I'm at this stage before I start putting it back together?

Time to order some parts.............

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts