Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the story is...

A good friend om mine own this 49 panhead. he rebuildt the engine 12 years ago and never fired her up!!

i have asked him about the bike a million times.. and today he came with it in his van..

he asked if i could help him start her up and sort out the charging system (12 volt)

I se this as a very nice oppertunity to learn more about these great motorcycles and have some fun :)

here are som pics of the beauty..

Out in the sun for the first time in 12 years!!!

So my question to you guys are...

where would you start?

cheers // a very happy kenneth

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
elltom: here you go... (10 min old pics)

I have alot of grass coming soon to cover the rest of the roofs.. the other 4 buildings will get the same stuff ontop :)

and my "man cave"

now back to the Q.. :)

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
How the Hay....(Pun) ....Do ya Moe it...???

On the Old Pan....

Start by draining the oil, and flush out with Kerosene....
There is a drain plug on the left case below the primary cover, just inside the frame tube..Can remove the vent line from the motor case and use that to get the Kerosene into the motor for a good flush-out of the motor....
Carb with need to be redone...Take a hard look at the inside of tanks...May see the need to treat them...
New Battery....Be a good time to up-grade to 12 Votes.....Probably still has the 32-E gen. on it.
Replace points with a new set...Or File the old....
Could be a good idea to put some oil in the cylinders for a while, let sit....Kick over...Check compression...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The question is, where would we start??? First battery charge. Probably need a new one, after 12 years. Check for compression, incase the rings are locked in the pistions. Check pushrod adjustment, clean points, smell in the tank for a varnish smell, and drop the carb, for inspection, like varnish or corrosion. That will get you started on the startup. Of course, change the oil too, and if it had any in it 12 years ago, it will probably be sumped in the engine, so it will purge at startup, have a pan ready under the vent. After that, trans oil check, and visual checks of all major connections, motor, motor mounts, trans bolts and even primary chain adjustment. Then go to the brakes, and adjust what you can, and after the first test ride, you will know if you need to do a major on the brake areas. Good luck, and hope you have a ball working on a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys..

im not even sure there is any oil in it.. havent really started working on it.
gas tanks are empty and the carb to...

# new battery will be installed...
# its converted to 12 volt.. (doesnt work)
# no points.. electric iggy

i have NO clue how to fix the gen problem and thats why im here... to get help from you guys :)

Compression is GOOD.. Mats the owner have put oil in the barrels so for what i know and can feel with my leg kicking it is that it feels ok.. have to get a comp tester to be 100%

its 0.60" over pistons in 1200cc jugs making it a 1340?
1000cc lower...

and brakes def neds work.. lol

any one knows what gen its in the bike?

cheers :)

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
its 0.60" over pistons in 1200cc jugs making it a 1340?
1000cc lower...

any one knows what gen its in the bike?

cheers :)
I'm just a bit ...:confused:

The way I see what your saying is....
You have an EL 61" motor......It came with a bore of 3-3/16...
You (Or someone) has installed FL 74" jugs on them which is 3-7/16...

When the 74" jugs was installed....Did the builder's also use the flywheels from the FL motors...???
The strokes are diff. on Both the EL and FL models
EL = 3-1/2" ...... FL = 3-31/32

The Gen. for 12 vote would be a model 65-A.....Or aftermaket of the same...

The ign. system.....Got a wonder going on there as well.

A few photos of the Gen. and Ign. would clear up these wonders of mine..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dragstevs: I dont know.. i really dont know.....

The engine was rebuildt at a known/good dealer..

im just telling you guys what the owner told me :)

here are some pics...

Gen...

points.. looks brand new! it had a magneto when he bought the bike.
but traded it some how, some where for the s&s super E! doh!!

cheers

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Got a bit of all years going on there..

The heads are outside oilers...Those are from the early 60's....

Gen does indeed look like a 65A with an Ele-Frank reg....
Again Old stuff....Those gens are not all that bad to get back on line...
As was said....Check the easy first...brushes, oil on commentator.
If the Frank's reg is still good....By-Golly that would stay on the bike.
Have one on my 52...Had Frank send me one with-out guts so I could plate it, then sent it back to him for lock and load of the guts...

(The points look to be bone stock for the year model of bike...
Be really nice if the spark advance still worked on the handle-bars....)

I take that back....^^^.....Looks to be the auto advance unit of the mid/late 60's...

Also ...Nice Numbers on the motor case...Never seen a set that nice on the early Pans...The Guy that stamped those back in the day...Must have been sober in the Beer Capital of the World that day...;)

On the cubes......As long as it runs good will be all that needs to be known...
If.....Big IF here....... It does have the FL jugs going on....Must have been cut down on the length...The 74's are taller then the 61's....
If they wasn't cut down....Got some big time LOW compression going on...
And the diff. in bore size is 1/4 of an inch....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Whaouh Knallert !
That's a beautifull house you've got !!
(and a nice pan to bring back to life, hope your friend will let you use it...)
Congrats

·
Registered
156 Posts
How can you tell you have a charging problem if you have not started the bike?
The bike will run without the charging system anyway if you have a good battery.
Your setup is as basic as they come. If you have basic mechanical knowledge, put in a battery, set the timing, pull off the air cleaner to make sure there is some gas in there for startup and kick er over. Panheads are easy starters.
That timer (distributor) is a late sixties edition with centrifugal weights for advance/retard. When you set the timing I believe it has to be set advanced. I could check the books but too lazy right now.
It should take you about two hours total to get that bike started. After you start it look in the tank to make sure the oil is returning. It could take up to a minute for the oil system to start pumping. If the oil tank is empty fill it a day ahead of the startup. You can also pour about a 1/4 cup of oil in the timing hole and if you really are a fanatic you can pump some oil into the outside oiler lines.
Oh yeah...make sure the plug wires are properly connected. It is a wasted spark system so that can confuse you. The easy check is if it is not starting swithc the wires.
Those Panheads love to run so do not be surprised if it fires on the third kick but make sure it is primed or the enrichiner is on on that carb.
Go get em!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pan61man: the charging problem started before the rebuild.. he rode the bike with a remote charging relay.. thats what im told :)

thanks for the input..

Okie pete: yeah i know.. its awesome to have such a beauty in the garage..
cant wait to ride her..
foot clutch and tank shift... love it!

the only problem is that she aint mine :(

hehe

cheer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts