Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of spark plug wires but when I got them, I turns out that I need to build them.

They didn;t come with any instructions

Can anyone offer some hints?

·
Registered
150 Posts
first decide witch end you need for your coil and install that boot slide it down an inch or so. then strip 1/2" off of the end of wire and fold back over the outer casing. then place the end so it holds the wire back flat on the casing and crimp it closed make sure its clamped good and tight. then slide boot into position.

you can shorten them if needed before doing this put the plug end on and run them to the coil, if they are to long just cut some off but be sure to leave a little extra just in case.

did that make sense?
hope it helps

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dankchoppa said:
first decide witch end you need for your coil and install that boot slide it down an inch or so. then strip 1/2" off of the end of wire and fold back over the outer casing. then place the end so it holds the wire back flat on the casing and crimp it closed make sure its clamped good and tight. then slide boot into position.

you can shorten them if needed before doing this put the plug end on and run them to the coil, if they are to long just cut some off but be sure to leave a little extra just in case.

did that make sense?
hope it helps
Thanks that was the part I was confused about. I didn't think you could solder it.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Places like Summit or Jegs have nice crimping tools for spark plug wires. I built a few before I got the tool but the right crimp will make your life easier in the long run. Other than that just slide the boot on the end of the wire & crip the metal part on. You need to strip about 1" of the insulation off the core first. When you crimp the metal end on you will fold the core wire back over the end of the wire & put the metal end on & crimp. then slide the boot back down over trhe metal part you just crimped. Hope this helps. The short metal end is for the straight boot & the long one will bend in the middle for the 90 degree boot. Depends on which one you want to use.

one_bitter_dude said:
This is what I was given.

·
Registered
117 Posts
MSD makes an AWESOME ratcheting crimper specifically for plug wires and other auto/bike related terminals.It's less than $50.Works great.It will pretty much pay for itself in one use on a V-8 if you price the custom fit vs. universal application route.If you work on old bikes and cars,I'd get one.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts

did that make sense?
hope it helps
anyone have a picture of this process ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most cheapo wire strippers have a crimping tool built into them for ignition wires. They work pretty well. One other thing that helps is to spray the boot with silicone or put some hand cleaner on it to act as a lubricant. Then it will slide on the wire much easier.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bought a set of diy spark plug wires and I'll never buy them again. Waste of $20 fucking dollars. Maybe I just dont have the patience.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Back in the day, only a set of custom wires came assembled, and they cost three times as much as partially or completely un-assembled wires. All the info above is good.

One small thing to add; you will find that the boots do not "slide" over the wires. Lube them with a small amount of hand cleaner. You can then wipe them off with a damp rag after you get them together.

Piece of cake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts