Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to nail the stance of Stan's early race bike, but need some seasoned eyes to point me in the right direction.

Here's Stan:

Here's Me:

I originally thought Stan was using 21" front/ 16" rear- but after mocking it up (thats what is on my pan in the photo), I think he is using a 19" front. Agreed?

I was planning on running the Avon Speedmaster set. HOWEVER, Stan's rear tire still looks taller than my 5.00x16. I know he is using his own rear slick in the photo with an extra ply of slick rubber... my real aim is that the front and rear have roughly the same final diameter. Is there a taller vintage style rear tire than 5.00? Where are you guys getting these balloon tires? Is there a better method than trial & error to get that balance?

While I have your attention- what the hell are these wheel caps called? I can't find any for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That might even be an 18 on front. unless you get a springer, and maybe even with a springer, you are going to have to rake your frame out some. That looks like a goodyear super eagle thats been turned into a recap slick on the back there. They repop those.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That might even be an 18 on front. unless you get a springer, and maybe even with a springer, you are going to have to rake your frame out some. That looks like a goodyear super eagle thats been turned into a recap slick on the back there. They repop those.
I will be running a springer or girder... depending on what I find. I noticed his frame is slightly more raked than mine, not sure yet if I wanna go there. Thought I would start with the wheel/tire combo and see how happy I am.

I'll check out the Goodyear.

Anybody know about those wheel caps? I know they are a period accessory, but has anyone seen a repop?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd say it's stock rake/stretch with a 3.50 19 front? doesn't look tough to duplicate. He's foot clutching her with rear sets and hand shifting on the down tube! Awesome! I have a hell of a time keeping mine in the staging beams with one foot on the ground. Stan's the Man!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mr. Stan Dishong's looks like a 19" up front to me and 16" on the rear. If it's a 3.00 tyre, up front, it's not an 18" because Avon didn't make a 3.00 18" Speedmaster as far as I know; however, I do know that they did have a 3.25 18". It's gonna be difficult to match stance without using the comparable parts (front end, wheels and tires). Also, It appears that your front tire is a bit lower profile than Mr. Stan's. Keep in mind, too, that Mr. Stan had a pretty hefty engine and he is sitting on his bike. Either way, I think you have a nice set up so far and Mr. Stan's bike is definitely a worthy model. Keep after it and keep posting pictures!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey KBB, is the engine and transmission, on your bike, photo-shopped in for mock up purposes or is this some kind of strange reverse mirror image?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey KBB, is the engine and transmission, on your bike, photo-shopped in for mock up purposes or is this some kind of strange reverse mirror image?
I bought the bike from an Australian

or

I reversed the image so it would be sitting the same way as my reference... easier to eyeball the differences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts