Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Erica, aka BlueBird.

First off, I want to say I'm new to motorcycles, and I'm here to soak up as much info as I can. I've been reading the boards for a bit and I've decided to register so I can post. I probably won't post a lot, but I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask or opinions to offer at some point. I'm an artist, so I will have artwork to share here (none for today, but coming soon). I'm currently a student at Prescott College in AZ studying wilderness leadership.

I got my first bike, a new Bonneville, a couple of months ago. I've always been very intrigued by motorcycles for as long as I can remember - There's something essentially simple and beautiful about two wheels, a handlebar, and a motor. Kindof like the feeling of your hairs standing on the back of your neck when you look at a bike. I've got a desire to cafe out my Triumph, but I won't be doing anything major yet - I know I've got a lot to learn about riding. A new pair of pipes are in order, the stock pipes are quieter than a goddamn lawnmower!

I came to this board because I can relate to the bikes and attitudes here. I like what I see: simple, beautiful machines that are functional and that I can't stop looking at.

For some pictures, go to my website at : www.homepage.mac.com/ricabergstrom

-Erica

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
BlueBird said:

First off, I want to say I'm new to motorcycles, and I'm here to soak up as much info as I can. I've been reading the boards for a bit and I've decided to register so I can post. I probably won't post a lot, but I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask or opinions to offer at some point. I'm an artist, so I will have artwork to share here (none for today, but coming soon). I'm currently a student at Prescott College in AZ studying wilderness leadership.

I got my first bike, a new Bonneville, a couple of months ago. I've always been very intrigued by motorcycles for as long as I can remember - There's something essentially simple and beautiful about two wheels, a handlebar, and a motor. Kindof like the feeling of your hairs standing on the back of your neck when you look at a bike. I've got a desire to cafe out my Triumph, but I won't be doing anything major yet - I know I've got a lot to learn about riding. A new pair of pipes are in order, the stock pipes are quieter than a goddamn lawnmower!

I came to this board because I can relate to the bikes and attitudes here. I like what I see: simple, beautiful machines that are functional and that I can't stop looking at.

-Erica
Boa, is that you?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Welcome... I love the new bonnies. I had a w650 that I had bought before the new bonnies came out. I like the thruxton a lot too. Are you guys going to The Smokeout West in Cottonwood?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Flatironmike said:
Boa, is that you?
Huh?!

BlueBird, welcome! Christ, you may be the first female to post something on this board.....at least that I know of.

I have a Bonnie Black that I'm selling, and did all the usual hop-ups on it if you need any advice on tuning (I changed pipes, airbox, jets, sprocket, air intake, new bars, fasteners, lights, ignition).

Biggest performance improvement by far was the 18T front sprocket (you should actually do 19T, the motor can handle it). Second would probably be the airbox removal, installing K&N filters on the carbs, and most important, changing the clamps on the rubber joints between carb and motor. Even if you don't do the airbox swap, replacing those clamps is important because the stock factory clamps aren't tight enough and allow air in (after the carb) and really fuck up your tuning. You can get good, stainless replacement clamps that tighten properly for just a few bucks.

Other than that it just takes a while to mess around with the jetting and air/fuel mixture to get it where you like it.

And definitely, those pipes have to go.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

·
Registered
896 Posts
BlueBird said:
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Von, yeah, I'm going to The Smokeout West. I still need to get my ticket. It's nice being in Prescott, I'm only a 40 min drive (on scenic highways) from Cottonwood.
Cool, a lot of us will be there also. My mom and step-dad live in Mesa. Little further drive, but any road that takes you away from PHX is a good road, imo.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome to the MC world and the JJ....

You are near Flagstaff? right?

I rode through there a couple years ago...stayed at the Monte Vista...a cool Hotel...

Have fun on your ride....and keep this in mind....

There are few bikes that can't be made better by taking something OFF.......

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
BlueBird said:

-Erica
Great art!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boa, thanks for the info. I'll start looking into it.

I've spent my fair share of time in phoenix (I've got relatives and friends of family in scottsdale) but I'm always happy to be heading back north when I'm done there.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Erica, Welcome to the board! I was surprised to see you on here. Looks like you're really liking the bike. Tell Rich to pick up the phone and call me. That bastard hasn't been around all summer! MIKE.

·
Registered
896 Posts
BlueBird said:
I've spent my fair share of time in phoenix (I've got relatives and friends of family in scottsdale) but I'm always happy to be heading back north when I'm done there.
My favorite bumper sticker "When I die I know I'm going to Heaven Because I've already done my time in hell" Phoenix Arizona.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Mike! I thought I might see you here, Rich mentioned your name when I told him about this website. I'll tell him to call you - He's been pretty busy lately.

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with the bike, and I'm finally getting my licence in two weeks - No more sneaking out for short solo rides on just my permit!:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts